Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to buy my daughter a 17HMR bolt gun to shoot ground squirrells and rockchucks with this summer. Now that its been around for a while I was wondering if any of you folks that have one would have gone about it another way? For example: a different rifle, optics, bedding, etc? Can I get her up and running with one of the less expensive outfits and still have a decent trigger, accuracy and the like? I try to learn from the mistakes of others if I can.......
Thanks!
Gary O:cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love my Marlin 17 VS! I wish I could of afforded a better scope than the Bushnell (Dusk to Dawn) 6-18x50... The pencil spring makes the trigger bearable, not prefect but very shootable. The only regret I have was not stocking up on ammo before purchasing the rifle. I could order online, but I'm old fashion that way, I like to support the local gun/sporting good stores.

Good luck!

Charles

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have the perfect setup, but alas, not affordable for a kid!!!

Anschutz 1717D Meistergrade
Schmidt and Bender 2.5-10x56 Scope

This rig is super accurate, and can really do it all. Even though it was expensive, I have absolutely no regrets.
:cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
One regret

The only regret I have, is it won't stop raining so I can go out and play.........:D

I was introduced to the 17HMR by a buddy of mine in CA.
He had a plain jane Savage.
He did a little trigger work to it, so the trigger pull wasn't to bad.
I picked off a few ground squirrels at about 150yds, and I was hooked.

I went a different route, only because I already had a Ruger in 22 mag. I ordered up a Lilja drop-in barrel in 17HMR.

I don't think you can go wrong if you decide on the Savage.
With a little trigger work, they are as good as any of the other production rifles. Other than fussy people tinkering to see just how tight they can get them to group (me included), I havn't heard of any 17HMR that wasn't more accurate than the shooter, in hunting situations.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have a 17VS and had given serious thought to the standard Savage with the wood stock. Only regret is not getting enough ammo before hand as was mentioned in a different post.

Spend as much as you can afford on the scope, it mill make for a better experience for both of you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
NO REGRETS

I HAVE A MARLIN 17VS WITH A 4-12x40MM BANNER SCOPE HAVE SHOT 63 5 SHOT GROUPS AT 100 YDS WITH AVERAGE OF 1.19" CTC. THIS CARTRIGE IS AMAZING FOR I SHOOT ABOUT 36% 1" GROUPS ANT UNDER THE BEST WAS A .375. I HAVE NO REGRETS.
GREAT FUN.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
No regrets here. I have the 17VS and this week I finally got around to shooting at 100yds. I did 10 groups with 5 shots each that averaged just a little under an inch.:D The largest group was 1.5 inches which is probably due to the shooter.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
CZ 452 American Sporter Hummer
Absolutely no regrets...
and possibly a good route for your daughter.
Currently wearing a Simmons 1048 and was probably my most accurate gun til a used Sako followed me home.
I had planned to upgrade scopes, but it probably isn't necessary. I still need to do a little sanding on the stock's barrel channel. Get Brookies trigger kit and possibly his Weaver adapters. I considered Cooper and Anshutz, but you can't go wrong with a CZ. :t

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have the Marlin 17VS. Trigger was okay, but a Rifle Basix was installed. Huge difference! I mounted a 6-20 (I think??) Bushnell Scopechief. Complete with a Harris bi-pod, this is the hot set-up. If I were to do it all over again, I would have bought the CZ, but for the money, the Marlin is a good value.

steve

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im happy

I like it so much that I bought 2 of them. I have an NEF and a Ruger 77/17.
They both shoot great after I fixed the heavy trigger myself on the NEF cause they dont have any aftermarket triggers for that as far as I know. And I bought a different sear for the Ruger and the triggers on both are now great........

·
Registered
340 Posts
Marlin 17 VS here. I sure had to think more about the way I shoot to get those 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I'm a casual shooter, but since I have been using this rifle I have really been aware of the way I shoot, and it has helped my groups. I am now within the one inch circle. Wish I had one when I was a kid. :)

The only way I will trade this gun off is if I can't get anymore ammo.

For Sale: Marlin 17 HMR VS, stainless steel. Nice stock, and Rifle Basix trigger. Real sweat shooter. Adjustable trigger will fit any need. Broken in the hard way. Very accurate. _____________________________________________

Just joking for now. I am starting to loose a little patience.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I currently have four 17 HMR rifles, and have had and worked on several others. Fired over 7 thousand rounds of 17 HMR through them...

You might consider the NEF Sportster for your daughter. Accurate, inexpensive, decent trigger, and a single-shot to conserve ammo and encourage the 'one shot' mentality.
Also very easy to clean.

Good Luck, and have Safe Fun with your Daughter on the range!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Though I can only speak for myself I'm not happy with my Ruger 77/17 (wood stock, pencil barrel). It had a really lousy 7 lb.+ trigger so I got a VQ sear. Once installed I could neither actuate the safety nor would the trigger trip the hammer. Volquartsen readily offered to correct the problem but I'm sending it back for a refund. No complaint about them. The service is quick and positive. I opted instead for an aftermarket trigger that reduced the trigger pull to about 2 lb. but is very "creepy".

None the less the groupings rarely get better than 2" at 100 yds. My bench rest technique isn't world class but I can do that well with my 1885 low wall using a tang sight and my factory Remington 22-250 is a 3/4" gun using the same method (but I'm NOT using a tang sight on that one:D ).

Conclusion? I'm now subscribing to the "mrmarklin" method: Fewer but higher quality guns that shoot better than I do without any monkey business required. I just ordered an Anschutz 1717D (El cheapo grade stock) and a S&B scope.

Mark 2

·
Registered
7 Posts
no regrets

I bought the cheapest 17 I could find. NOt because I am cheap, because I was low on money. I found the savage. I put a leupold 3-9 on it and the only mistake I made was not buying a bigger scope. I kept the leupold and put it on my new moose rifle, then bought a cheap simmons 4-12 power. Make sure you get a good scope of higher power. I shoot .5- 1.5 inch groups and the higher the power of scope the easier. You won't regreat the purchase, I promise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.