Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have one. I opted for the standard (not meistergrade) version with the schnabel forearm. In my oppinion it is the best 22 sporter going. This is not to say it is the best looking- sounds to me like maybe the coopers and kimbers do a little better job these days with wood work. The 1710 looks are still super though. The accuracy is almost always super- I have shot .25" 50yd groups with mine several times. You rarely hear of one that won't shoot. In my oppinion the difficulty in getting these to group well from the bench stems mostly from the stock shape-it is hard to get good br groups with a 22 sporter. The trigger is great- with the light spring down to 13oz. Lastly, the 54 action has a well deserved great reputation. I know of people that have 54 action target rifles that have shot in the neighborhood of 100,000-200,000 rounds with no sign of any problems.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I am not familiar with that model. Must have some aftermarket mods to it. Not familiar with a SAK moderator. Is that a suppressor? We in the US are not allowed to have them without a special dispensation from the govt.- after we pay a big tax. The only think I'd caution you about is getting a heavy barrel model. It depends on how you plan to use it. Personally I'd stay away from a heavy barreled 22 sporter. The 1710 as it comes from the factory is not a light rifle- about 6.5 lbs I think, maybe 7. Putting a heavy barrel on it won't make it significantly more accurate. It will make it into a boat anchor.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I've got an older 54 sporter, made in 74. It's probably my favorite rimfire rifle. Well made, more accurate than I am, and it will most likely be around for my kids to enjoy. I've had Browning t-bolts, Winchester 52 (new), Kimber of New York, etc - and my 54 sporter is (in my opinion) the smoothest of the bunch. The 1710 is the more recent version of the 54, should be a great choice!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Gordon: I will have to agree with you on that. The only rifle I have seen that I'd possibly trade my 1710 for is a 70's vintage ans. sporter. The new ones have a bit more of a mass produced look to them. The 70's models have a little more workmanship in them. I have a 70's vintage hornet and it is about the prettiest rifle I have ever seen. Also, I have a '64 ans 153 which is the 222 rem model and it is a beauty. Aside from that the 1710 is the one. the trigger on the 1710 I think is a little better than the old ones.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Andre - good looking rifle! I recently purchased a bavarian style stock and a new 1700 style trigger guard, thought I'd put my sporter in it for a while, just to have something different. The Bavarian style isn't seen very often here in the states. I think it's going to be nice. Thanks for sharing the pic of yours, now I can't wait for my stock to arrive!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Pdeal - do you know when they went to the separate screw-on bolt knob on the 1710's? I think I'd prefer the older one piece, but I did see a photo of a Blazer centerfire rifle that had a wooden bolt knob that matched the stock - interesting idea! I visited Wenig custom gunstocks in Missouri the other day, and have been thinking about getting one of their "classic" style stocks in a feather grain walnut for my 54, but it might also be fore a newer 1710 - just what I need, another project....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 1710 in Miestergrade and think its great. It has the Leupold 4.5x14 with the fine plex reticle and i have it mounted with the Talley rings & bases.

Using the Talley mounting system gives the rifle a great look and allows me to pull the scope off and use the iron sights which I like to do some days. The bases are so low you dont even notice they're there.

It's extremely accurate and easy to shoot. I have owned the Kimber Super America, the Kimber Hunter Sil. and the Winchester Model 52 (new). None of these can come close to camparing to my 1710.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hello Andre

Andre,

Welcome to RFC - nice to see a Belgian posting. The Belgian people have ALWAYS been the kindest and most hospitable people when i have visited.

I hope you enjoy returning to the site!

Nice rifle too!

Regards,

English

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your kind reception, English. I'm only visiting this site since a few months, i.e. since I acquired the 1710. I own 2 other .22 RF rifles (Anschütz 1418 "stützen" and Ruger 10/22) that I haven't shot for over a decade, having lost interest in .22's poor accuracy and range, when compared with my CF rifles and handloaded ammo. However I was astounded by the performance of the 1710 that I recently got out of a deal. My vision about RF's has changed and I started test-shooting different brands of match ammo, sorted by ctg. weight and rim thickness. I'm starting to like this new game, whose approach is not unlike precision handloading.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have a 1710 heavy barrel meister grade. A lot of people don't like the heavy barrel, but I think it makes the gun more steady in offhand shooting(silhouette). You can't go wrong with a 54 action anschutz. I have three of them. All of mine like fiocchi super match ammo the best so far. If you look around on guns america you can find new ones under 1000.00.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the input guys.

'Out the box' would an Anshutz 1710 heavy barrel shoot better groups than a Sako Finfire Hunter heavy barrel??

I can't decide whether to go for the anshutz or Sako!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey man the anchutz will definetly outshoot the sako anyday there is no better out of the box .22 rifle better than anchutz and you would look long and hard to find a better custom i plan on buying a 54:18 in a mcmillian stock before long to shoot silouhette with Good Shooting

treeratkilla8

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nice looking rifle

NeVeTaS,

Earlier in this thread, someone asked if the SAK moderator is a suppressor. It looks kind of cool, like it could be a suppressor or maybe a tuner. Please tell us more about what it is and how well it works.

bulletbarry

·
Registered
36 Posts
1710 Heavy

Hi
Nice gun I have recently applied for my firearm licence here in the WALES and I was told last night by the Police Officer that my licence should be with me in 2 weeks.(beleve it when i see it :p )
The .22 IM thinking of buying is a 1710 Monte Carlo but now I want one of them 1710 heavy barrel You have. Could you give me some info on where you purchased the gun from and how much it cost if you don't mind ?
It looks real good have you got any info on how it shoots what groups are like and what distance have you Zeroed it in at I would appreciate any info you have regarding any of my questions cheers.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought it from a custom shop. As it has been shortened to 18" by Callum Ferguson (top gunsmith in scotland).

The barrel is 24" long standard, so once you add a silencer it's wayyyy to long. So either way you will have to get it customised. Best bet is to buy the gun then send it to Callum or Venon to be customed.

As for land take a look at http://www.country-breeze.co.uk

Cheers

Steve http://www.nevetas.com

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.