Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
You guys ever start to smell trolls trying to bash Anschutz rifles? Rimfire Central provides some great features to tell who is telling the truth and who is shooting the bull. Its pretty easy to spot the guys looking for trouble trying to knock the best.

Some of the vague rifle problems and "my Cricket outshoots my Anschutz" posts crack me up.

People always like to find something wrong with Number 1.

· Registered
American Single Shot Rifle Association
1,798 Posts
Olympic Prooven Action

That's why I went Anschutz! The same folks bash Eley....Lapua etc....
I figure I would rather own a half a cabinet of rifles that shoot rather than a cabinet full of, I don't know what they're gonna do today.
I just, "shake the haters off" :)
Dan, go put together some tight groups or make a killer shot on a crow and smile.
Have Fun,
Scott

· Registered
4,258 Posts
Yeah sometimes. :)

But I just smile and read on. I love discussing any rimfires with anybody. ;)

Actually, I am **** glad that Marlin, Savage, CZ, etc, make guns that many folks can afford. The more people into shooting sports, the better.....

I don't care what they shoot, or what level they are at, we need 'em all, and I like 'em all. I try hard to never disparage someone's choice of firearm...... :)

Heck, I didn't get my first Annie til I was 50, before that I was always tuning and tweaking and messing with my guns to get them "right". Then I figgered, what the heck, I deserve a 54.18. :)

Open the box, wipe it down, put it together, mount the scope, adjust the trigger, and then just shoot it......... shoot it.............. shoot it.......... and shoot it.

No messing around needed. I like that in my old age. :)

· Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got a buddy who...

hunts once a year and as a result thinks he's a gun pro. We took his son to the range to sight in his new Mossberg Plinkmaster. He couldn't figure out why it shot tennis ball sized groups at 25 yards and softball sized groups at 50. Not to mention the fact that it has a ten pound trigger that has half an inch of creep.

I let him shoot my Anschutz and he says "This things got a hairpin trigger". I said you probably meant "hair trigger" and explained that its actually a two pound clean breaking trigger. After shooting a five shot group with all of them touching at 50 yards...he says, "You and your toys".

He's a nice guy and good neighbor, but I wouldn't recommend that he buys an Anschutz (or another good brand for that matter).

· Registered
4,258 Posts
heh...

I always say, if I knew then what I know now, I woulda saved myself thousands of dollars over the last 10-15 years by going with Annie. :)

Instead of buying and tweaking and selling and buying and tweaking and selling, I would have a 1702D, a 1710D, a 1717D, and at least one 54.18.

Expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the money I spent over the years trying to find or tweak or build that elusive "great rifle". :)

Nowadays, with all this hard-earned knowledge, I would just buy the Annie's and be good to go................. :)

· Registered
2,196 Posts
Words of Wisdom Steinie paid for with experience.

I actually went from a Marlin 60 to an Anschutz. I did what you describe in other areas than 22 rifles. And learned the same thing in those other hobbies. Sometimes a maker is just one of the best, and you make life simpler by simply getting the best. I suppose all the other things you worked with gave you an intense appreciation for how good an Annie is out of the box. But the smart play is get a good one and be done with it.

· Registered
2,837 Posts
I wanted one ever since I was in college - almost bought one back then, a gunsmith had it for sale at our college's "turkey shoot" - they had a big intercollegiate match near thanksgiving every year. Anyway, I went back to my dorm to get my checkbook (I was working at the match, not shooting) and by the time I got back, it had been sold. Darn the luck. As it was, I had to wait quite a few years to get one, a nice used 1970 1411. Sorta broke the dam, there's been a few more sneak in over the last few years.. :)

But, I've got an old Savage 1922, a CZ or two, a single shot Flobert, etc - I like 'em all. I think there's room for all of them, I just happen to prefer Annies. Some folks like Chevys, some folks like Mercedes..

· Registered
2,923 Posts
I managed to trade around and come up with my first Anschutz 20 some years ago. It has always shot great and performed flawlessly. I had a 4X Leupold on it for most of those years and I never even had to readjust the scope. The only problem I've ever had in all those years was a couple of failures to feed last year. I cleaned the magazine (first time since I bought the gun) and it went right back to working like it always had.
I've done a lot of the "buying, tweaking, and selling" lately, and I've never come up with anything to match the first Anschutz for accuracy and dependability. I bought another one (17HM2) about a month ago, and it's up to par with the first one. I've also got a 1416 "out for delivery" this morning according to the UPS tracking info.
I really wish I'd gotten to look at some of the 17 series Annies before I bought my Coopers. I might have made other choices----but you can't go wrong with a Cooper either.;)

I agree with steinie:
"I don't care what they shoot, or what level they are at, we need 'em all, and I like 'em all. I try hard to never disparage someone's choice of firearm...... :)"

· Registered
2,837 Posts
I'd like to have a cooper, too. :) Someday, I'd even like to have one of those "Cooper/Anschutz" rifles that were built from Anschutz barreled actions in stocks made by the Cooper company. I understand that these were done when Dan Cooper wasn't involved with the company, between the early Coopers and the Coopers of today.

I've got two 54 sporters - one, a 1974 "54 sporter" from Savage/Anschutz days, and a 1422 (made in 1984) with a classic style stock that's sorta plain. I keep thinking that someday I'll put that 1422 in a high-grade custom walnut classic style stock, with a beaded cheekpiece, fine checkering, etc.. In the meantime, it's not going anywhere.. :)

· Registered
2,837 Posts
Figured I'd answer here, in addition to your PM -

I wish I could quote you numbers, group sizes, etc, but in all honesty I don't shoot it much. I don't do much in the way of detailed group shooting, etc, and don't get the heavy 1411 out very often at all. I bought it more as a project (re-finished the stock, had the metal polished & blued) and for nostalgia, because I always wanted an Anschutz match rifle, ever since college (since about 76 or 77). I mostly plink or shoot with my boys (son & step son, 13 and 16) for fun, and we usually shoot their CZ's and/or my Annie sporters, the 54 and the 164.

From your descriptions of the gun, it sounds nice, and the price doesn't seem all that bad to me since you say it's got sights & original scope blocks on the barrel. I'd mostly inspect the bore & bolt for wear, etc, but I'll bet it ends up shooting pretty well.

· Registered
5,030 Posts
steinie said:
heh...

I always say, if I knew then what I know now, I woulda saved myself thousands of dollars over the last 10-15 years by going with Annie. :)

Instead of buying and tweaking and selling and buying and tweaking and selling, I would have a 1702D, a 1710D, a 1717D, and at least one 54.18.

Expensive, but not nearly as expensive as the money I spent over the years trying to find or tweak or build that elusive "great rifle". :)

Nowadays, with all this hard-earned knowledge, I would just buy the Annie's and be good to go................. :)
Ah but you can still do that with an Anschutz; shiny System Gemini butt-hook £200, canatble rearsight, sight extension tube. The list of shiny things is almost endless

· Registered
343 Posts
Even Trolls Need Attention!

I never cease to be impressed with the good advice and suggestions offered on this forum. Maybe it's because I tend to read only the CZ (sorry guys) and Anschutz sections. Besides the accuracy of the Annies, the other reason to own one is that everyone needs a truly elegant rifle. I've had my 1416 less than a month and am already plotting and scheming for a 1710....:D

· Registered
926 Posts
"I never cease to be impressed with the good advice and suggestions offered on this forum."

Couldn't agree more , a great site it is .
But personally I haven't encountered any trolls here yet , unless your talking about the occasional butthead that wants to give somebody a hard time for what they consider a dumb question . Guess some of us just aren't as fortunate as others who know it all , huh ?
claketyclak

· Registered
49 Posts
All those guns..

Well, Steinie, look at it this way, you could have saved all that money but then again you might not appreciate the Annie as well if you had. Seems to me that if you can afford it you don't always appreciate it. If you worked for it and you know why it's good then you appreciate it all the more.

'Course I tell the wife, "Shooting keeps me out of the bar." She doesn't buy that but she can't think of anything to say after that so it's winner.

dwl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.