Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any feed back on this item.....is it adjustable and if so what range.....I presume that you need the seperate attachment , one for each size of screw that you want to tighten ??----What is your opinion ???
glenn

·
Registered
713 Posts
Scale on wrench is from 4 to 12 Nm (Newton meters). Any setting between whole Nm's is a guess. You do not want to torque bedding screws into wood stocks above 5 Nm anyway. The driver that comes with it is specifically for the hex head Anschutz bedding screws. I do no tknow of any other attachments that might be available. If you are wanting a torque wrench for diverse applications, this is not the one to get.
Al

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al D. said:
Scale on wrench is from 4 to 12 Nm (Newton meters). Any setting between whole Nm's is a guess. You do not want to torque bedding screws into wood stocks above 5 Nm anyway. The driver that comes with it is specifically for the hex head Anschutz bedding screws. I do no tknow of any other attachments that might be available. If you are wanting a torque wrench for diverse applications, this is not the one to get.
Al
Al;
I am wanting one strictly for the stock action screws....you say that there is no (fine) adjustment between 4 and 5 Nm ? Is it really benificial to find the actions sweet spot when tightening the screws ??
glenn

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
buckeyeair said:
Al;
I am wanting one strictly for the stock action screws....you say that there is no (fine) adjustment between 4 and 5 Nm ? Is it really benificial to find the actions sweet spot when tightening the screws ??
glenn
Yes. My 54.18 wood stocked gun can tell the difference between 42 inch/lbs and 44 inch/lbs with some ammo.

44 inch/lbs is about 5 Nm according to the online torque converter..
http://www.onlineconversion.com/torque.htm

I use a German-made Wiha torque driver from Sears. Came with 51 bits or so to use as well. Very nice set..
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00950481000

ps
The Wiha only has markings every 2 inch/lbs, ie, 40, 42, 44, etc, but of course you can turn between them if you wish, so it's a pretty good setup for adjusting action screws.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Buckeye,
There is no marking on the wrench scale other than whole Nm's. You do have infinite adjustment between ,say, 4 to 5 Nm but you would not necessarily know the value. I actually use a setting of about 5.25 on my aluminum stock rifle. Since 1 Nm = 8.77 in-lb, one could conceivably be able to find a sweet spot within +/- 2+ inch pounds just by using the quarter points between whole Nm settings. Hope I was not too confusing on this.
Al

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. folks.....seems as though the Sears product would be more versital (sp) but the Anschutz product would probably fit the bill !!!! Huuummm----decisions-decisions!!
glenn

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Actually, if you are willing to sacrifice one of the Anschutz bits ( I used the largest one ) you can cut it short and weld it to a "universal" socket (from any hardware store) that will accept all "American" style bits, including Phillips, Torx, hex-head (SAE or metric) , etc. That is what I did and it works great.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I don't have the item in question, but you may be interested in an alternative - the inexpensive ($30) Park Torque Wrench. It's a beam-type wrench I bought from a bicycle supply online store and which is marked in both inch-pounds and centimeter-kilograms. The business end is a quarter-inch shank, to which I attached a quarter-inch socket head, which then allows me to use any of the 30 or 40 Mag Tip slot, phillips, hex, and torx heads I have for other projects. Works for me.

Jaywalker

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Just an FYI... I have a 160 dollar beam type inch/lb wrench, refuse to use it any longer.

Too hard to hold exactly level while the gun is upside down in the gun cradle and I ruined a set of Annie 54.18 bedding screws that cost me 38 bucks to have replaced from Champion's Choice. Screwdriver type is much easier to handle and get right. I only use my Wiha now. :)

Disclaimer:
Of course, your mileage may vary since most folks aren't as incompentent as I am. :) :)

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Well, the bar is about 10 inches long on the beam torque wrench I have. So with gun upside down in the cradle, I can't have a hand on the gun and the wrench at the same time. I need one on the handle end and one on the near end holding the screwdriver bit in to the slot. This lets the gun move, and/or is not quite the most stable setup. I ended up not holdiing the beam quite level with trhe bottom of the gun, so the screwdriver bit walked outta the slot and tore the screw up.

With the screwdriver torque wrench, I haven't had that problem. I hold the gun with one hand and the screwdriver torquw wrench with the other, and make sure to put downward pressure so the screwdriver bit stays tight in the slot.

Most folks prolly aren't as clumsy as me and would not have this issue. :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone tried the Gehmann inch torque wrench ?? Adjusts from 34 to 102 " lbs. and comes with 4 bits (2.5mm-3.0mm-4mm-5mm) and costs $54.00 plus shipping from Champions Choice---they also have an adaptor to adapt it to 3/8" drive (rather large)---they also carry the Anschutz torque driver and an adaptor for it to adapt it to 1/4" drive......
glenn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.