Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
let me pick your brains for a minute. how far down can you take the trigger on this model without seeking gunsmith assistance? also, am currently shooting a cz 452 american with 2lb trigger,4x12 scope, shooting in the .3's @50 yds for 5 shots with wolf mt. can i expect any better performance for twice the money out of the mpr or should i set my sights a little higher? looking to stay with a repeater. many thanks, vic :confused:

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
The MPR weighs around....

9.0 lbs. Has a 25 inch barrel and three position stock. The trigger doesn't have much adjustment between 9-11 ounces. You could replace the spring with a lighter one, but its not recommended. You can buy a trigger upgrade that goes even lighter 4-6 ounces. There is an accessory rail and the barrel is dovetailed for target sights.

Not much in comparison with a CZ 452 American that is a great sporter and fine shooting budget hunting rifle. The CZ, although really great for the price, doesn't have the same trigger, balance, lock time, available options (stock, trigger, sights), etc. The MPR is a true competition rifle. The CZ American is a hunting rifle. Its a well known fact that heavier rifles are easier to shoot (hence weight classes) and accessories make a difference. Unless you competing, don't get an Anschutz because its not a hunting rifle or plinker.

If you can shoot .3"s at 50 with a CZ, you can shoot .2"s with a 64 MPR. My 64 MSR came from the factory with a 10 shot 55 yard group that is .35" center to center. I have matched that with the MSR...10 shots in .35" in the outdoors.

You could buy an Anschutz today, use it in league (shooting the heck out of it) for five years and sell it for almost what you paid. More goes into rifle values than just accuracy, otherwise everyone would own Savages (not a knock but a compliment).

·
Registered
444 Posts
64 Mpr

:yeahthat: If I was going to invest, I think I would look for a MSR, I think the barrels are a little better. If you get serious later, you can send the gun to Ten Ring for a really light trigger.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I own a CZ super exclusive and have had the opportunity to shoot three
different CZ 452 varmints that have had the triggers tuned up. They
shoot very good are a well made unit and a good value for the amount
spent to purchase them. But Dan S. said the facts as well as they can be
stated. The anschutz target rifle is easier to shoot well and will outshoot
the CZ. If your game is paper punching off a bench the anschutz is the way
to go.
The next target rifle I buy will be a Anschutz. I decided this after
I had the opportunity to shoot one. It was comparable to going from driving
a automobile with manual steering to power rack and pinion.

·
Registered
444 Posts
To look at two rifles

and ask if one shoots twice better than another because it costs twice as much is flawed thinking. Will a full blown bench gun shoot ten times better than a CZ? No! After you get to the point a 22 rimfire rifle will agg less than 1/2 inch, it costs much more for every tenth better you get.

As they say in automobile racing; how much will it cost for me to go fast? Answer is: how fast do you wanna go?

The difference in winning and losing in benchrest competition is often a bullet landing a couple thousands inches farther from the center dot than the next guy.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
You could shoot some mighty fine...

groups with a CZ using a high powered scope with the right ammo. The MPR is set up for target competition (albeit not benchrest) right out of the box.

The CZ would need trigger work (inexpensive), additional weight and a different stock. The target stock with accessory rail will probably get the price up near what a 64 MPR costs after you add the butt plate, rail and trigger guard.

There are some subtle variances in CZ's quality that you wouldn't run into with an MPR. All MPR's shoot 10 shots into less than .5" at 55 yards at the factory. Anschutz leaves the rest up to you.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What is the cost of the MPRs these days? I shot one a few years back owned by Jay - was very impressed with the fantatstic out of the box trigger and accuracy was excellent. :t Was able to shot one of my best ever 50 yard groups with a rifle I only shot for a few groups. If I recall correctly the price was around $585 -$600 back then. But , it seems that everything that is German-made has gone up considerably in the past year or so.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Now they are $700-$800...

new in box. May find one in the upper $600 range if lucky.

Used MPR's are also going for a premium since the cost of the new ones went up. May find a good used one for $450-$599.

The good rifles just keep going up in price. Theres always a demand for quality.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Anschutz 64 MP R
Smallbore rifle for many possibilities of use. Anschutz Match 64 action, trigger blade adjustable in length, two-stage trigger 5098 adjusted to 280 g (10 oz), sliding safety catch, grooved barrel for globe front sight to make shooting with target sights possible.

The New 64 MP R is ideal for high power rifle training because it has repeater capabilities and a beavertail stock. This gun can be used for target shooting because it has the match 1903 barrel action and two-stage-trigger. The versatile stock allows for sporting, target, MS, benchrest, and hunting disciplines.

Barreled action: The famous Anschutz match 64 cylindrical action with sliding safety catch is robust and of high quality. Adjustable match two stage trigger with safety. The trigger blade is adjustable in length. The use in almost all disciplines is guaranteed by the various adjusting possibilities, especially the wide range of adjusting the weight. The trigger can be adjusted as two stage or single stage.

Stock: Anatomically shaped stock with Beavertail forend and aluminum rail for hand stop. NO slip rubber buttplate. Butt plate 4709 A is vertically adjustable and adjustable in length by 8mm spacers 4709 P. Aluminum butt plate 4759 and 4758 fits as well.

Delivered with: 5-shot magazine 1420-U5, screw driver and instruction leaflet.

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Clarry said:
Dan S, does the 64 MPR have the 5098 trigger ?, I've seen several messages that say this is the best trigger.

Thanks
Does indeed have the 5098 trigger, and it's not bad. 10oz is a great weight for almost all shooting IMHO. I have both my 54.18's set as 10oz two-stage setups right now.

But AFAIK, the 5018 trigger is even better. :) It comes set at 100 grams, about 3.5 oz or so, and adjust up to approx. 8 oz. Then you can flip the trigger cam over and the 5018 will adjust from 8 or 9 oz to a high of about 20 oz.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
but doesn't the 5018 fit the 54 acton?

Anyone got a 5091 around? I've got an exemplar that someone put a 5094 single stage trigger in, and I'd like to restore it's 5091 10 oz two stage.. I'd trade the 5094 for a 5091..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.