Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at 2 rifles online. One is an older Anschutz 54 with match sights and blocks for the old target scopes. The other is a BSA MkII Martini with Parker Hale sights and scope blocks.The prices are about equal,and both guns are in good shape. I dont compete (execpt against myself) but I do like to shoot from a bench. The BSA is a little heavier,but both are over 10 lbs. I was looking for input from people who may have shot both types. I assume because Anschutz is still in business, parts would be more available. I already own 2 BSAs but neither is a MkII. Just trying to do some research before I buy.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Sorry, I haven't shot any BSAs, but have shot several Anschutz rifles of various models from the bench and have tuned some. I really like the Anschutz 54 action and barrels. They can be competitive in rimfire benchrest. Most bench shooters don't use the old external-mount scopes because most are not powerful enough and the mounts may or may not work well enough for that demanding venue.

Barrel condition is critical to competition benchrest shooting. A chrome-moly barrel that has had 50,000 rounds through it may have lost it's competitive edge or may have started to lead up in the throat, which, in my older Win 52 barrel, required dry patching the throat after every 50 rounds in competition. (Most barrels will accumulate a bit of lead in the throat over a long series of shots.)

If your barrel shoots best after about 15 shots after cleaning, then loses it's edge after about 40 more shots, suspect leading and clean with a dry patch. If accuracy returns, leading is probably the culprit.

John

·
Registered
132 Posts
E-mail me in a week or so and I will give you my recomendations.
I have a couple of Anschutz 54s and They are great. I purchased mine from Thad Scott fine guns they are great people to deal with and the quality of their used rifles has been great!
I am expecting my first BSA MK II on Monday (also from Thad Scott) and will be trying it out sometime during the later part of the week.
The only problem I can see is that if you are shooting it from a bench rest position, the lever may be a bit inconvient. I think the sights on the 54s are some of the best open sights around better than the BSAs
I have shot the MK IIs (3 position)and they are very accurate and rival the 54s I think it comes down to what you as an individual likes best.
Mikexxxx

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pretty much equal quality shooters

I've shot plenty of BSA's and a few Anschutz Both are great target rifles, but make sure whatever you choose, you get the 3 day refusal in the deal and get the gun checked over well as both of these rifles ahve been around for a few decades... The MkII hasn't been pruduced since 1959. Target rifles usually get shot a LOT, and Thad Scott's guns are imports from disbanded British shooting clubs...Some are real jewels, and some are shotout, so it pays to be careful.:rolleyes:
That being said if you get a good one of either Anschutz or BSA,
You will be VERY pleased....OBTW: the thing about the lever on the Martini action getting in the way of benchrest came from some difficulty with the action with some prone shooters. The cure for this was to bend the cocking lever till it cleared. :)
Benchrest with a Martini is no problem, I use all of mine from the bench.:)
The only other thing I can think of is that the scope blocks that the BSA's were equipped with are for the older Unertl externally adjusted scopes... big long heavy beggers, got one that added 2.5lbs to the rifle.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just recieved my BSA MK-II today and took it to the range.

This rifle is great!

I would rate the accuracy equal to my Anschutz 54s and almost as accurate as my custom Winchester 52D.

The lever does not seem to be a problem for the bench as long as I raise up the rest alittle higher than I do on my other rifles.

It does not like Lapua M or L , Eley match extra, or anything with the Federal lable. It does very good with wolf match extra but it really likes Eley practice.

With the Eley practice I shot a target with the sun directly in my eyes (this is my excuse and I am sticking to it !) and shot a 247 13-x (25 yds) with a redfield 20x scope.

I REALLY LIKE THIS RIFLE!

I cant wait to see how well I can do when I can see the target without the SUN directly in my eyes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.