Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends...
I have an old Anschutz 1407D Target rifle (year 74) with the model 54 action.
It is very accurate, but I have to torque the action screws to 6 Nm. to obtain good precision. The result is that the wood in the stock is beginning to crush.

I want to "pillar-bed" it, and I have some doubts. I'd appreciate if you help me:

Should I put pillars only in the front screw, or in the front and rear screws...? I ask this because there is a steel recoil lug near the rear screw, where the action rests firmly.

If I pillar bed the two screws: Should I remove or leave this recoil lug...???

In addition to the pillar bedding, it's better to glass bed the rifle...?

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Alex,

In my opinion, pillar both and leave the lug. You will find that each screw will prefer a separate torque setting for things to really dial in. In my expereince, the front needs about 40-50% more torque than the rear.

Try about 4Nm in the front and 2.5Nm in the rear.

Yes, THe bedding will benefit you!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tenspot said:
Alex,

In my opinion, pillar both and leave the lug. You will find that each screw will prefer a separate torque setting for things to really dial in. In my expereince, the front needs about 40-50% more torque than the rear.

Try about 4Nm in the front and 2.5Nm in the rear.

Yes, THe bedding will benefit you!
That's barely any torque at all. My 2013 I have on 5nm all around. As for pillar bedding it, you could have Neal Johnson do it LINK but that is going to run you 150. I'd say do them both and test different torques.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Whats it take to ship a rifle through customs...

from Buenos Aires to Colorado Springs, USA? Seems it would get expensive and hazardous for a firearm to travel through customs to get bedded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.