Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

I recently sold a 1710D stainless heavy barrel and am looking at the 1710 Monte Carlo and an older model 54 sporter. I can tell you from shooting the 1710DHB that it will shoot one ragged hole, 5-shot groups at 50 yards from a bench all day long with decent ammo. I shot Federal Gold Medal UM1 and Winchester Supreme in mine and they did exceptionally well. When I tried some Winchester PowerPoints and CCI MiniMag hollow points, the groups opened up a little to .5-.75. That's the difference between target ammo and high speed hunting ammo at 50 yards. My 1710D was a meister grade with georgeous wood. I took it to my local gunsmith and asked that he install sling studs. He told me to bring it back in a couple years after I had dinged the wood! He said the wood was so beautiful that he didn't really want to drill holes and install sling studs. I carried it 2 seasons in the woods for squirrels and rabbits. I installed a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X scope and could always count on hits out to 100 yards if the wind wasn't blowing too hard. I think the gun was capable of far more accurate shooting than I am. The only problem I ever had with it was toting it in the woods on a 6-8 hour hunt. That's why I wanted the sling. I was shooting it at the range one day and a friend asked to try it. After shooting a box of ammo through it he came over with his check book and asked, "How much?" I sold it to him and am now looking for the lighter barreled gun that already has sling studs.

You might want to think about your two choices of use and what percentage you will be using it for either. The heavy barrel would be best for bench rest, and the sporter for hunting.

TennSquire

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.