Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice this has been beaten to death, but please be gentle.
I am getting a headache from reading all the old scope mounting threads and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I am trying to mount a large scope on a special. I am looking at the Weaver V16 or maybe the V24. Is there any chance to mount one of these without grinding the sight mount and still be low enough to be able to shoot the gun. I was thinking maybe one of the Simmons scopes, but can't find any locally and would really like to look through one before buying. I am trying to build a gun for silhouette shooting. If you have any other suggestions in the Weaver class I would appreciate that also.
Thanks,
Aaron.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Something else. I found out today that scope bases made for a Marlin rifle are flat on the bottom and could be mounted to the CZ. Has anyone done this? I was looking at Leupold stuff today. It was a 1 piece base.
Aaron.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Take a look at some shorter variables that will mount behind the rear sight base. The high Milletts are not too high and will handle up to a 44mm AO. I don't know how long the Weavers are, but do you really need 24X ??? A Cheekeze pad will get you up higher if that's what is needed.

Good Luck

Jim W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim.
I bought some of the Millett .22 cal rings and took them back about an hour later. They didn't seem to fit very well to me. I like the looks of the Beeman rings and may try those or the Leupold route.
I don't really need the V24 btw I am also considering the Simmons 8-32 at Natchez so I could use the gun for some target shooting also. Maybe its not possible to build a gun for targets and silhouettes???
Aaron.

·
Registered
123 Posts
At what distance do you shoot silhouettes and targets??

What was the problem with the Milletts ? Do you have a Special, Lux, or Ultra-Lux ? I know that Montana is a big state, but you should be able to see all the way to Missoula with that 32X on clear day. Better yet, I will step outside and wave to you from here in Spokane.

Jim W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The gun is a special. I didn't like how the Milletts were not touching the top of the reciever at all and the ones I had seemed to bind up when trying to clamp them on the dovetail.
We will shoot out to 100 meters at silhouettes. I would like to shoot targets at about this range from a bench also. I am looking at the V24 because I know someone that has one and he says it darkens up above about 16x and I am afraid the V16 would be the same way but at about 10x or something. I would like to shoot at about 15-16x. I am looking at the 800116 8-32 based on reviews here and the $150 price tag. I will wave back if I see you. ;)
Aaron.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's Me, beside the blue Chevy pickup !

First off; the bottom of the rings don't need to touch the reciever to hold tight. I have 3 sets mounted, and no problems. You don't have to torque them up as tightly as some other rings, since they have a bit of interference fit in the groove.

The problem with the high power scopes is the shrinking exit pupil diameter as you zoom higher. The brighter scopes have larger objectives like 50mm, but they will only have half the light at 32X, than they have at 15X. Eye position becomes very critical at that point as well. The exit pupil will only be about 1.6 mm. A 12X with 40mm objective, and a 15X with 50mm objective will have the same size exit pupil ( 3.3 mm ) and the same relative brightness. Don't get a scope with any more power than you will use. I have used some very fine Burris 6-24X varmint scopes. They work very well but they cost more than 3 rifles like yours.

Have a good one.

Jim W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help Jim. I am still lost on what to do I think though. The shooting starts in a couple of weeks and I am rushing to get something done. I plan to use the higher power for shooting targets.
Aaron.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Aaron,I think your best route would be to have the rear sight boss machined off.I have done several of these and it allows any scope to be mounted as low as possible.I also machined Weaver bases to straddle the factory grooves and drilled the reciever so I could use Weaver or Burris rings.I also machined off the front sight.Good Shooting,Jim.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
On the Millett rings - they make a version specially designed for the 452 - they are called CZ ZKM models and are on page 13 of their online catalog. I haven't seen any but I believe they are designed to contact the top of the receiver.

If you are ready to drill and tap any of the flat weaver-style bases will work.

For silhouette shooting many shooters prefer a high scope mount to make it easier for silhouette-style offhand shooting. Last fall I made a high-profile adapter for the CZ that added about 1/2" to the top of the receiver. With high rings you get the scope well over the rear sight base. I am out of stock of those now but plan to make more soon. You can still see photos of the high mounts on my website and I will soon begin shipping the low profile weaver mount adapters. You can see photos of some prototypes and a Weaver V9 mounted at:

http://ebrooks77.50megs.com/weavermountsnew.html

There isn't a link to that page yet from my website as these are pre-production.

Later today I will be remounting the Simmons 1048 and will post some photos of how that looks. Perhaps it will encourage you to try some of the mounting options that do not require grinding.

So far I have been able to mount a variety of scopes to the Special with a wide variety of rings. They key is either to get the scope high or place the objective either in front of, or behind, the sight base. The popular Simmons 1048 is long enough to be able to put the scope objective in front of the rear sight base. For silhouette shooting you are generally going for a high magnification scope.

Don't overlook the BKL rings. They are very effective and high enough for most scopes. They retail for about $18 and fit both the 3/8" and 11mm dovetails. For higher rings the Beeman 5030H mounts are high enough for most scopes even with the sight base.

If you do decide to remove the rear sight base you can punch out the pin that holds it and remove the entire base with a little "persuasion". Of course then you might consider adding another action screw to the receiver.

There are quite a few options out there and I know they may seem overwhelming. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just mounted a V24 on an ultra-lux. I used the millett bn00023 (high 11mm) rings. I think it was a Brookie post I read that pointed me in that direction. They fit real nice, flat right on top of the receiver. I had to remove the rear sight blade (just push down and pull back). The scope clears the rear sight mount by about 3/32". I really didn't really need the 24x either, but was kinda sorta talked into it in another thread here. I'm glad I was. First session at the range, my best 5 shot group at 50 yds was .49", with 4 shots touching. Brand new ultra-lux, all I did to it out of the box was float the barrell back to the lug... I don't know if I'm happier with the rifle, or the scope... but it's definitly a setup I plan to keep for a while...

zonk.....................

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Zonk, exactly what I wanted to hear. I am still torn about the ring thing though. I believe Eric's adapters will be available shortly and that just confuses things more. I think I will go with the Milletts just becuase I know they work. Where would I find the Millett/CZ rings?
Thanks,
Aaron.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Aaron,

Your right, the rear sight is the same on the Special and the Ultra.

I don't know where to get the Millett CZ rings. If you find a good source, let us know. Sounds like you got a good response to your questions. Glad to hear the Weaver V-24 will clear the sight base.

Now go whack those steel chickens.

Jim W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the rings at Natchez for about $32. I went shooting with the guy that runs the silhouette shoots and he brought the targets to show me. Lets just say I don't think I will be knocking down any chickens. :p
Thanks for all the help everyone,
Aaron.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Aaron,
I had my local dealer order them direct fom Millett. Cost me $35. I looked at all my normal mail order sites, and couldn't find them. Now you say Natchez has them, I see them there. I could swear I checked with them... oh well. Brookies low profile adapters look promising, if he had them ready I probably would have tried them (maybe on my next cz), but patience is not one of my virtues, when I gotta have something, I gotta have it now.

As long as your barrel is the same profile at the rear sight as mine, you should be all set. I think you'll be happy with V24. Just how big (small) those chickens, and what range do you shoot em?

zonk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The chickens are about 2"x3". We will shoot them at 40 meters off hand. The rams are about 5"x7" and they are at 100 meters off hand again.
The rings better work because I ordered them today.
Aaron.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey Aaron,

You might try cutting a narrow (1/4 in.) notch in the front scope cover so it just clears the barrel. The cheap ones that usually come with the scope are no great loss. Butler Creek makes some flip-ups that work OK too.

Jim W.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.