Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Remington folk. I'm interested in re-acquiring a 597. I had one of the early models, and it was about the most frustrating firearm I've ever used. I couldn't get ANY brand of ammo to feed reliably. It's now gone. I've read the threads about how Remington has replaced the plastic magazines with metal ones, improving reliabilty (why didn't they do that before they released the gun???). My question: is the 597 now reliable enough for me to reconsider, and to buy a new one? I really don't want to go down the 10/22 road again. Thanks for your help.

Chuck:p

·
Registered
645 Posts
Go for it flycaster.
With what Remington has done with the magazines and ejector and what you can do (Jarvis or VQ hammer and loosening the guide rail set screws) you'll have one sweet shooter.
There are now aftermarket thumbhole stocks and heavy target barrels available if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a new 597. It has eaten everything I found to date. It does give a little trouble after 500 rounds. But a good cleaning fixes that. Do not over tighted the set screws on the slides!

I just put a Volquartsen hammer in it. SWEET............

I followed the thread from here and it went in smooth.

I like it so much that I am looking at a .17 597 now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Definetly worth it. I've run about 700 or more rounds through mine thus far (all CCI MiniMag) and have only had 3 mis-loads. I've never even cleaned the magazine or guide rails, just the barrel a couple of times. One day I hope to have one in WMR. It would make a superb hunter/plinker.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 597 has been nothing but problems since new, finally took it to the gunsmith two months ago, it appears the gun was shipped with no extractor, the gun is still at the shop because the parts are not in stock. No idea when or if Remington will ever ship the part.

·
Registered
645 Posts
tripodtx said:
No idea when or if Remington will ever ship the part. [/B]
Most likely never ... Remington does not sell the extractor ( they might, to a gunsmith but I wouldnt bet on it).
Get it back from your gunsmith and get in touch with Remington. Find out if you can ship them just the bolt and have them replace the extrator.
I have no idea why they wont sell the extractor but they turned me down several times (I wanted a few as spares)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased my 597 when they first came out, trouble right out of the box. You are correct they would not sell me the extractor and suggested that I take it to one of their authorized repair centers. It has been there for nearly 2 months and I am not sure I will ever get it back. I wish there was another avenue to resolve this matter but waddaya gonna do ! I have talked with the folks at Remington several times and it really does not seem to bother them that I am so PO'D. It really boils down to the fact that I took a chance on buying a new model gun without doing my homework. I have really considered melting down the 597 and sending it back to Remington in a coffee can.

·
Registered
438 Posts
New 597

Hey y'all. I am thinking about getting a 597 too. Seems Bass Pro has em on sale fer $229, with the composite stock...is that a good price/ Also...do the new models have the steel mag? And...what about that plastic trigger assembly...I seem to remember an aftermarket one being available now...is it steel? Just curious is all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my son a new one for Christmas and it was a shooter right out of the box. The only problems I have had was with the Golden Bullets 500 round bulk pack, and that was about one jam in 50. Works flawlessly with everything else from Winchester Super X to Mini Mags!;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
ED, I bought a 597 LS in 17 HMR a while back. It was $289 + tax. It did come with the metal magazine. IIRC, it's a magnesium alloy of some type. The mag is marked 17 HMR and 22 WMR. The price that you've got seems to be pretty decent. I was quoted more than that if I had ordered a 22 Mag. hunter

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.