Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heh guys, after tinkering with my rem 597 i pulled my 10-22 out and proceeded to look it over and disasemble, to a point.
got the unit out of the stock, and trigger assembly out easily.

i could see the bolt, the spring on the "rod", and the bolt handle. it'd slide back and forth, but i couldn' figure out how to remove it.
was afraid i might break something.

any simple explanation for removing the bolt (with the barrel on)?

thanks a lot. (now i'm putting an order together for bolt buffer, and figuring how to do the one mount thing without the barrel band.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bolt removal

Well i have to ask if you pulled the 1/4 pin out which is the factory bolt buffer at the back of the reciever.

If you did it is just a matter of pulling the bolt back and i kinda hold it back so the front of the bolt clears the reciever and then kinda turn it over and the bolt should fall out.

The next trick is getting it all back together. Basicaly same as taking it apart but can be alot of fun.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, but i didn't connect the two

Yes, took the bolt buffer out, looked at it and thought it'd be easy enough to replace, and put it back.

then started on the bolt assembly. i reckon the bolt comes out separately from the spring, rod, handle since it doesn't look like they would all clear. i kinda thought the handle was stuck to the bolt someway.

thank you for your response. i'll continue to fiddle with it. wish i was more mechanically adept.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bolt Removal

It will come out, i didn't think it would on my first 10/22 but it will.
If you have the reciever upside down and you pull the handle back you will see it clear on the left side, little rail like portion of the reciever. rod and handle are one assembly.

It will give in you just need to find the sweet spot and it will be easy from then on.

Also their are many bolt buffer replacements of polymers, Get Dakotan's buffer, realy reduces the felt recoil and no more hammering that steel pin into the aluminum reciever.

http://www.weaponkraft.itgo.com/

Also has exploded view of 10/22 reciver if you don't have one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi WW,

Did I read you right that you removed/replaced the bolt buffer and then tried to remove the bolt?

If so, go back and remove it again before proceding.

Hope this helps.

Ohcsim

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for all the good info

as soon as the string of thunderstorms and tornadoes get past, i'll get back to the project.

thanks for the tips on good aftermarket buffers. that'll be the way i'll likely go.
am debating how to handle the tip of the stock under the barrel band. probably just cut it off, or epoxy coat it and paint it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.