Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ammunition Storage

1648 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  thudd3r
I could use some advice on how to securely store ALL my ammunition. Soon I'll have grandkids visiting our home and my wife and the grandkids' parents have asked about my gun safety and ammo access. Right now the guns are locked in gun cabinets, cables run through the trigger guards and wire-ties wrapped around trigers/levers/bolts. But all my ammo is just on a shelf in a cabinet once used for a stereo system. No manufacturers I've read so far have a storage unit for just ammo. There are plenty of GUN safes ammo can be put in along with guns but I don't need one of those. What are you guys storing your ammo in for home security that has enough room for shotgun shells, rifle ammo and rimfire ammo. The closest thing I've seen that would work would be a 3 drawer nightstand that I could somehow rig something to lock myself. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Wally World was selling a Plano trunk style box that is lockable. I think it’s 24x20x20 there were 2 sizes on the shelf and this was the smaller size. Once I filled it with ammo it wasn’t going any place fast

· Registered
2,412 Posts
My first gun security cabinet was a stack-on style steel locking cabinet with twin barrel keyed locks, cost about a hundred bucks. After buying an actual residential security cabinet, the original one was pressed into service to help secure my ammo. I can fit 22 .30 caliber ammo cans inside or various combinations of .50 and .30 cans and/or boxes of shotgun shells and still have a top shelf for smaller quantities of SD pistol ammo or to place what you're going to take on the next range outing. Put some lag bolts into the floor or wall and it's reasonably secure against smash and dash style burglers and much more than adequate against toddler fingers. Kind of a pain if you need something on the bottom row of cans but you soon learn to put the stuff you use most up front and high.

· Registered
4,828 Posts
Go buy a steel job site box at Lowe's or Home Depot. Put it in a cool dry secure location. Block the bottom in a few places to hold the weight without bowing in the middle. Fill and lock. May not keep the good crooks out of the ammo but surely will keep the grand kids out and the dumb crooks too. A file cabinet even a dumb crook can pry open. A job site box is at least equal to a thin steel gun cabinet in security and maybe a little better. rc

· Registered
59 Posts
I found an old four drawer file cabinet that has a one-hour fire rating @ 1250 degrees F. I found it at an auction of business furniture. Paid almost nothing for it, the problem was moving it. The cabinet weights over 800 Lbs, the good side is it is lockable.

Good Luck

Larry

· Premium Member
9,660 Posts
Depends how much ammo we are talking about. Stack-On makes a decent locking cabinet that has three shelves and will easily hold several thousand rounds, doesn't take up a lot of space. I found it on sale at Walmart online at the lowest price, $99 delivered to the local store, only took four days or so. i have one and keep all my powder in it. I have a big used locking cabinet and a locking file cabinet to hold my ammo, in the tens of thousands of rounds. You can also find good file and general storage cabinets at used office supply businesses.

· Registered
3,494 Posts
I found a very heavy made three drawer file cabinet at Goodwill for five bucks, no keys. The guy at the lock shop said it was what's called a banker's cabinet. About a foot and a half square and three feet high. Five more dollars for three keys.

It's full, got 30k of .22, and 3k of centerfire handgun ammo in it, in my den. It's mostly welded sheet steel, with heavy nylon roller glides. The bad thing with most file cabinets is that they won't take much weight. I figure mine weighs around 350 lbs right now. I can't open but one drawer at a time, or it tips forward.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.