Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ammunition Help

522 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  WAG in VA
I was shooting 3 shot groups for measurement at 60m and the average of twenty three shot groups for American Eagle 40 grain solids was .65 inch and the average of 20 three shot groups with Wolf MT was .54 inches. I thought I had it made!! After some discussion on the 22 ammo board I decided I would shoot 5 shot groups at 50 yards, assuming I could easily make .5 inch average groups with either ammo. But nooooo..........

Average of twenty 5 shot groups of AE is .67 and WMT is .60 at 50 yds. The gun (silhoutte with brookies trigger, barrel lug locked with a set screw and barrel floated) seems to like the high velocity AE better than the WMT. The AE groups are typically at least 3 and usually four holes touching with one or two flyers that makes a .3 inch group into a .67 inch group. The WMT seems to shoot smaller groups but there is a more even distribution of shots within the group, no tendency for multiple bullets in the same hole.

Given that, I am looking for a very consistent high velocity ammunition. Got any ideas? It is getting to be very frustrating shooting 4 of 5 bullets into the same hole and having the 5th blow the group up twice as big. I do not think that it is me because the flyer may occur on the first, second, third, fourth, or fifth shot and the remaing 4 go into less than .3 inches. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. FYI I have notice similar tencdencies with other high velocity ammo including Fed Lightnings, WW & REM.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have already tried CCI MiniMags and the rifle really does not like them (1.05 inch average for ten three shot groups from 60m). I will give the powerpoints and wildcats a try. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Would it be worthwhile to sort based on rim thickness? If so where can I get the gizmo to measure rim thickness?

· Registered
626 Posts
Some of the benchrest guys say sorting by rim thickness is pretty much a waste of time. My experience has been that the more expensive the ammo(Lapua, etc.), the better the groups. There will be exceptions because each gun is different.

jrobb

· Registered
46 Posts
My Varmint in .22LR shoots just fair with several kinds of ammo. Good with Wolf MT
cheaper Eley and Lapua Club. I have been looking for a good shooting high velocity as
I want to shoot some small varmints. I am using the Win. Dyna Points with just fair results. That is, just under an inch at 50 yd. off a bench. Yesterday I was amazed to shoot a couple of 10 shot groups right at 1/2 inch with Federal Lightnings. Who'da
thunk it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.