Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my hands on 17HM2 ammo yesterday. Acadamy Sports. Odessa Tx... I don't shoot it. Just surprised to see it. Have a Merry Christmas and best wishes for a new year....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Found some CCI VNT at local sporting goods store for $10/50. They must have gotten a deal on it b/c there was a lot of it on the shelf.

Now just waiting for the barrel for my Sako Quad to arrive and try it out.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Found some CCI VNT at local sporting goods store for $10/50. They must have gotten a deal on it b/c there was a lot of it on the shelf.

Now just waiting for the barrel for my Sako Quad to arrive and try it out.
I think you will be pleased. I'm so much so with mine, that I haven't ever bothered trying the other bbls on my Quad. They have just sat in the safe. Would like to see your results reported back in here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you will be pleased. I'm so much so with mine, that I haven't ever bothered trying the other bbls on my Quad. They have just sat in the safe. Would like to see your results reported back in here.
.17 HM2 barrel arrived for the quad. I previously had the .22 WMR barrel on and it was dialed in for 100 yds.

Shooting CCI 17 grain VNT rounds.

From the pics you will see the Mach2 barrel started off shooting about 2 1/2" to the right and 1/2" low. Once dialed it, she put a decent 5 shot group together. Each small square is 1/4" in size.

First pic is the sight in groups. Moved from the right and toward the bullseye.

Bottom pic is final group while I could feel my fingers yet.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
.17 HM2 barrel arrived for the quad. I previously had the .22 WMR barrel on and it was dialed in for 100 yds.

Shooting CCI 17 grain VNT rounds.

From the pics you will see the Mach2 barrel started off shooting about 2 1/2" to the right and 1/2" low. Once dialed it, she put a decent 5 shot group together. Each small square is 1/4" in size.

First pic is the sight in groups. Moved from the right and toward the bullseye.

Bottom pic is final group while I could feel my fingers yet.

Good shooting..That is similiar to what my old Converted Winder Musket does with CCI..But I have to use the old scope to do that good..:)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I havent spotted any ammo at local supply lately. I do see it at gun shows, but refuse to pay $250 a brick for it. Plus I dont know if it's old stock, (ammo made before they figured out how to anneal the cases). I've still got a K left of the lot I bought a year, or so, back. That will last me a while if I dont plink with it and use it only for hunting, but I will eventually need more... So to my question: is there a way to tell how old the ammo is?

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
CCI Date code is printed on the side of each box

The First letter in the Lot# is the Month on manufacture:
A – January, B – February, C – March, D – April, E – May, F – June, G – July, H – August, J – September, K – October, L – November, M - December

First two numbers in the Lot# is the Numerical day of the month: 01-31

The second letter in the Lot# is the Year of Manufacture:
A – 1995, B – 1996, C – 1997, D – 1998, E – 1999, F – 2000, G – 2001, H – 2002, J – 2003, K – 2004, L – 2005,
M – 2006, N – 2007, P – 2008, Q—2009, R -2010, S-2011, T-2012, U-2013, V-2014. W-2015, X-2016, Y-2017, Z-2018
Started over with A again in 2019, B - 2020, C - 2021, D - 2022

Last 2 or 3 numbers are the batch id from that day

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Beat me to it but yes codes are on the boxes..I have learned the CCI ones in my head when I am looking at CCI 17 at the local shows..:)

I do not worry about the codes on any other caliber of CCI..

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Okay, so we have the date codes, but somebody mentioned "figuring out the annealing".

Help us actually put those date codes to use.

What timeframe is the line between the "old" and the "new"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Cold Bore, ,I doubt if CCI has changed their annealing process from the beginning. they simply do a better job of annealing on some batches than others. They anneal them after the primer is inserted and do so without using heat as far as I know or have been told.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Cold Bore, ,I doubt if CCI has changed their annealing process from the beginning. they simply do a better job of annealing on some batches than others. They anneal them after the primer is inserted and do so without using heat as far as I know or have been told.
I was referring back to this.....

Plus I dont know if it's old stock, (ammo made before they figured out how to anneal the cases). ... So to my question: is there a way to tell how old the ammo is?
So it's just like the rest of rimfire ammo? Certain lots are just better, not necessarily an age thing?

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
I was referring back to this.....

So it's just like the rest of rimfire ammo? Certain lots are just better, not necessarily an age thing?
See these links.
Manufacturers later on may have changed chamber dimensions slightly to help with case rupture.
My lilja barrels bust a case about 1 in 200-250 shots on average.
My barrels all less than 3 years old (ownership age). But lilja did a new run just before I got my first. So barrels not on shelve long time. Lilja made hm2 barrels previously. Then they didn't make for a while. These first barrels may have burst cases more on average than what my barrels do.
I will buy one more barrel lilja. I love the round. Spend lots of time afield using it.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521342

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492397

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Cold Bore, Your question has more than one fork.

Not necessarily an age thing, is correct. Necessarily being the key word. The next batch they make could be worse than the last batch they made. It depends on how well the annealing process goes on each batch. So new ammo could be worse on splits than old ammo. Which brings us to the topic of old ammo.

Due to the annealing process that is used and the thin wall of the case as the ammo ages it is more likely to give way and split. Keep in mind if this older ammo was very well annealed it may still produce LESS splits than a new batch that was poorly annealed.

If one has an older batch of ammo and a newer batch of ammo both properly and well annealed then the newer batch will contain less splits as the older batch begins to show its age. But older doesn't NECESSARILY mean more splits than new.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts