Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tikka T1x on order so I'm try to purchase ammo ahead of its arrival so I can try and find a brand and type that it prefers. I'm new at this so I would like some ideas on the types and brands to try. I have a pretty good idea on brands but other things such as what bullet weight, bullet speed, codes such as LRN, PRN,HPSS, and many more. Is there anywhere I can get the translation for these such as LRN=Lead round nose, and the others? If possible be as specific with your recommended ammo as you can. I would rather have one specific recommendation than 10 that say try Norma, try Lapua, without the bullet type and weight it won't help a newbie like me!

· Registered
434 Posts
I have a Tikka T1x on order so I'm try to purchase ammo ahead of its arrival so I can try and find a brand and type that it prefers. I'm new at this so I would like some ideas on the types and brands to try. I have a pretty good idea on brands but other things such as what bullet weight, bullet speed, codes such as LRN, PRN,HPSS, and many more. Is there anywhere I can get the translation for these such as LRN=Lead round nose, and the others? If possible be as specific with your recommended ammo as you can. I would rather have one specific recommendation than 10 that say try Norma, try Lapua, without the bullet type and weight it won't help a newbie like me!
Just one? Well, I'd say Eley Tenex will give you a very good chance of finding what you need. IMO, however, you will need to try different lots of Tenex to find the one that is the best.
I shoot PRS with a guy who shoots a T1X; he shoots SK Red all the time and does very well. (sorry; could'nt keep it at just ONE)

· Registered
520 Posts
Other, smarter people will have better answers and most will suggest trying a variety of brands, bullet profiles, etc. I would too. Hitting the right everything with premium ammo on one dice roll isn't likely so could well be throwing money away. If you're handicapping the rifle that way, I'd just get some CCI SV or a better quality bulk ammo of some sort.

· Registered
1,104 Posts
I have found, as many others, that CCI standard shoots as well as any. SK Rifle Match might shoot a little better. I would not waste my money on Eley. None of my rifles will group well with any Eley product, but thats my guns. The Tikka is a nice rifle for what it is, a production rifle, not a high grade BR rifle.

· Registered
2,232 Posts
I have a pretty good idea on brands but other things such as what bullet weight, bullet speed, codes such as LRN, PRN,HPSS, and many more. Is there anywhere I can get the translation for these such as LRN=Lead round nose, and the others? If possible be as specific with your recommended ammo as you can.
PRN= plated round nose
SSHP= sub sonic hollow point
LRN= lead round nose
HP= hollow point
FRN= flat round nose
That covers the basics, and will hopefully help you translate rimfire acronyms.
I'd suggest not spending time testing with Remington ammo. It's a crap shoot otherwise. You will really need to try a few ammo options to find something suitable.
Also your intended purpose should help you decide. Hunting? Plinking? Gongs? Punching paper for bug hole groups?
For hunting I definitely suggest a quality hollow point or flat nose ammo.
Have fun!

· Registered
59 Posts
Might depend on what you goals are for the rifle. But think of it like tiers. Top shelf for competitions and the like are Lapua and high end Eley. You're paying $15-$25 a box of 50 for top performance. For quality one step down you've got the SK line and middle Eley for say $10-12/box long range, rifle, etc. These will likely give great overall. Then for general practice there's CCI Standard, lower Sk and the like in the $5-8 range.

All the above said, each lot may perform differently. In general though, great idea to try out some of each and see what yours likes. Now down the line, say you're going competition then you can send the rifle to test individual lots from the top companies and buy from the source (but then you're already deep down the rabbit hole.)

· Registered
434 Posts
For less expensive ammo CCI SV and TAC22. As you progress up in $$$ on ammo your groups will probably get more consistently smaller. Exceptional groups will show up with any ammo but the norm is what you’re looking for. The sampling size will help get more definitive results as you have to factor in your ability on any given day and shooting conditions. All else being equal higher price ammo will reveal the true capabilities of the rifle.

· Registered
99 Posts
My TX-1 loves Tenex in the wind and shoots Eley Match almost as well. If I wanted to buy one ammo for it I would go with Eley Match. They have a sporter chamber that is actually a good thing since they seem to shoot pretty darn good with just about any ammo you feed it. YMMV.

· Registered
433 Posts
It is tough to give just one recomendation. I have a couple rifles that shoot CCI SV better than many of the more expensive match ammo. My Anschutz Match 54 shoots best (50 yard matches) with SK Std Plus. My Anschutz Match 64 shoots best (steel matches out to 200 meters) with SK Pistol Match Special.

You need to try a few different ammos to see what YOUR rifle shoots best. Sorry, but that's how it works. CCI SV always shoots decent in everything I've tried it in, so that's what I usually try first.

· Registered
79 Posts
My T1X does well with CCI SV (standard velocity) and also the SK Standard Plus.

I shot a box of CCI Pistol Match through it last eve....whoooo doggies!

Groups below #3 (top edge #8) & to the right of # 4 targets were 100 yds. All other groups were at 50 yds

Literally "hit the nail on the head" in left center of the paper. 50 yds groups were all 5 rounds.

Product Art Font Rectangle Pattern

· Registered
225 Posts
HV= high velocity 1200-1300 fps
SV= standard velocity 1050-1125 fps= feet per second

CCI standard velocity will serve you well until your shooting skills are well refined. I think the vast majority of T1X owners could agree that CCISV will shoot .6"-.7" or better average at 50 yards and 1"-2" at 100 yards. Getting the T1X/CCISV combo to shoot this good takes a fair amount of skill and a good bench/rest.

· Registered
94 Posts
My T1X does well with CCI SV (standard velocity) and also the SK Standard Plus.
There's somebody who shots a T1X and CCI SV at an NRL22 event I go to, It seems to work well, and he consistantly places towards the top of the results.

I'd expect SK std+ to work well, it works well in 3 22's I have. Probably the one type that works well across all 3 rifles

· Registered
16 Posts
If you can find a ammo seller who will work with you that would help. Recently I ask three major sellers if they could put a sampler together with a few SK offerings with a couple of different Lot #'s to try to find what I could use in 2023. Not one has responded, I guess were stuck using only the three test centers and ammo that they offer if we want to do a good test with lot's that can actually be purchased.

· Premium Member
405 Posts
If you can find a ammo seller who will work with you that would help. Recently I ask three major sellers if they could put a sampler together with a few SK offerings with a couple of different Lot #'s to try to find what I could use in 2023. Not one has responded, I guess were stuck using only the three test centers and ammo that they offer if we want to do a good test with lot's that can actually be purchased.
Good point, the way SK and Lapua ammo sells out, finding, ordering and waiting for the samples to show, the game is over.
To the OP, it is not the designation of the brand, or brand, it is specific lot #'s of an ammo. I think a test facility is a viable option, but lately I have read that only 1 case of ammo will be available for purchase, may have changed. A case sounds like a lot, but in the grand scheme, not so much.
I have 5 rifles I expect good accuracy from, I just buy cases of Center X and now I am going to lean on tuners to make good ammo better.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you to everyone that replied. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me. I think I'm going to start out buying ammo that I find at good prices and try to end up with a little of everything that you all have mentioned here. After I do a lot more studying and reading and depending how the rifle I get shoots I may go a little deeper down this 22 LR rabbit hole! Funny thing this seems a lot like I started out with AR-15's and I've ended up spending a bundle! Here we go again!

· Registered
5 Posts
What distance are you testing for? With CCI SV I am able to shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and with Eley Club I can get 3/8" groups. I like to shoot tooth picks in half at 50 yards, it very rarely takes more than 1 shot with Eley Club. At 100 yards, the CCI groups much better than the Eley. I have grabbed a few other brands to try at 100 yards.

· Premium Member
2,135 Posts
What distance are you testing for? With CCI SV I am able to shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards, and with Eley Club I can get 3/8" groups. I like to shoot tooth picks in half at 50 yards, it very rarely takes more than 1 shot with Eley Club. At 100 yards, the CCI groups much better than the Eley. I have grabbed a few other brands to try at 100 yards.
That’s a good lot of CCI.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will test for both 50 and 100 yards but I'm hoping to lock in at 100 yards. If the new Tikka will give me some groups under 1 MOA I'll be happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts