Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Ammo Report/Findings

441 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  1911
Not sure this post needs to be in this area, but I have a "new to me" ammo finding. This may be a well known fact aready, but I thought I would tell you about what I have noticed. At a local gun show I bought some CCI CB 22 Long 710 FPS rounds. I know the CCI 710 FPS shorts are quiet and I use then all the time. But in the case of these longs (not long rifle) they are noticeably quieter than the 710 shorts. At first I loaded them in my Taurus 96 revolver (S&W 17 lookalike) which is pretty loud in general and was pleasntly suprised to find they were pretty quiet, in fact quieter than the CCI 710 shorts and 500 FPS LR's Aguila powderless rounds in that gun. So from there I loaded them in my 39A mountie (and a few more rifles, no autos) and was even more impressed with the low noise. Not sure why the 710 longs would be quieter than the powderless aguila 500 FPS LR's, but they are. I now see that the CCI long 710 FPS rounds are hard to find. Once I saw how "fun" they were, I went back to the gun show the next day show to get more from the same vendor, but was sold out lol. So I browsed around and found a couple more vendors selling them and snatched up all I could find.
I can see why a long would be quieter than a short in a revolver, but I was impressed buy the comparrison between the CCI 710 fps long and the 500 agulia fps LR rounds in the same revolver. Anyhow, just blathering on, buy some if you can find them. Thanks, TB
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
I have used the CCI CB Longs a good bit, but find them to be somewhat inconsistent, some lots worse than others. The Winchester CB Match Longs are more consistent in power and thus more accurate in my experience and even a bit quieter in all my 24" barrels, rather like a loud click. I haven't found them anywhere locally, however, and always have to order them online. Try some if you can find them. I think you'll like them.

· Registered
1,342 Posts
I have used the CCI CB Longs a good bit, but find them to be somewhat inconsistent, some lots worse than others. The Winchester CB Match Longs are more consistent in power and thus more accurate in my experience and even a bit quieter in all my 24" barrels, rather like a loud click. I haven't found them anywhere locally, however, and always have to order them online. Try some if you can find them. I think you'll like them.
Bingo!

Just as quiet, but WAY more accurate. The Rems and CCI CB's were all over a paper plate at 15-20 yds (from a gunrest) but the Wins were palm sized or smaller.

Golf clap sound from a 18" or longer barrel. Squirrels, big crows, chipmunks - DRT!

Quieter than my springer air rifle.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, Im going to try both the Winchester longs and the Rem cb's.

I also agree with the inconsistant quality of the CCI. There have been times when the round has barely made it out of the end of the barrel, and also some alot hotter than normal. My mountie seems to like the CCI from about 45 yards but one of my G25's is inconsistant. Looking forward to trying those other type rounds. Thanks, TB

· Registered
208 Posts
Russian Match shorts

I bought a brick of 600 rds. of the Russian 22 Short Match a few years ago. Back then every round in a 50 round pack went bang. Fast-forward 5 or 6 years and I'm down to about 1/3 not going off. Guess they have a shelf life?....Needless to say I'm shootin them up every chance I get..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.