Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience with 17 WSM ammo is that I get heavy carbon fouling from a day of prairie dogging. Also copper fouling. All ammonium is made by Winchester as I understand it. Last week I also used Winchester 223 ammo while prairie digging and found that exceptionally dirty also. Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yes l agree, the 17 wsm ammo is pretty dirty and using in a Volquartsen semi auto the guns chamber area and barrel needs to be cleaned quite frequently for it to function correctly. I can’t speak to the copper fouling.

Until the the last year or so our PD/squirrel shoots have mostly been using the 17 hmr and you can shoot a lot more rounds of the hmr before cleaning. I contribute a lot of this to using semi autos, but could be wrong.

Wonderdog1 :bthumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. My 17 hmr a are nowhere near as dirty and can clean up quickly. Waiting on a 17 Hornet which I predict will be as clean as the hmr with the range and power of the wsm. Maybe more

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I agree. My 17 hmr a are nowhere near as dirty and can clean up quickly. Waiting on a 17 Hornet which I predict will be as clean as the hmr with the range and power of the wsm. Maybe more

If you get your 17 Hornet l think you will be pleasantly surprised. I bought and used mine while the 17 wsm caliber was suffering through the first B-mags that hit the market. The 17 Hornet ammo was hard to come buy and pretty pricey. I don't reload and the volume of shells l was going through in the PD fields made me go back to the HMR. I then purchased a Volquartsen in 17 wsm and found l no longer even shot my 17 Hornet and sold it. Not saying l didn't like the 17 Hornet, but for my use and pocketbook the the 17 wsm filled that void perfectly.

Just my 2 cents.
Wonderdog1 :bthumb:

·
Premium Member
37,725 Posts
My experience with 17 WSM ammo is that I get heavy carbon fouling from a day of prairie dogging. Also copper fouling. All ammonium is made by Winchester as I understand it. Last week I also used Winchester 223 ammo while prairie digging and found that exceptionally dirty also. Anyone else notice this?
It is rf ammo, and it is made by Winchester, so thats 2 reasons why IMO.

·
Premium Member
58,777 Posts
I cleaned my BMag for the first time since getting everything put together and sighted in, a lot of carbon fouling no real sign of copper though I expected it, used Al's Qtip trick along with Dr.Gunners .17 cleaning gear. Will be interesting to see how it shoots next time out.

Yes Winchester ammo is about as dirty as it gets in my experience. :bthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.