Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I shot the CCI and Hornady, both into phonebooks soaked overnight in water. The Hornady reacted as I expected, shards of jacket, lead and little red tips spread throughout the book(4") and some passing on thru.
The CCI was somewhat surprising. The hollow points showed little evidence of expanding. They did react, jackets separating from cores, and the points not expanded. They also showed evidence of tumbling, much like a FMJ. Granted the paper of the book was filling the hole of the HP in those I recovered, but still surprising. I suppose that my test isn't indicative of flesh and bone critter response, but I would have thought the results to be different.
Has anyone used another form of media to look at the expansion of these little hollow points?
Also, in my barrel(GM blue 77/17) the accuracy just isn't there. groups are double what the Hornady round shoots, with and without the pressure pad. I even loaded 5 Hornady, and followed with 5 CCI just to make sure it wasn't a fouling barrel. Nope, 5/8" with Hornady, 1 1/4" with CCI, all at 75 yds.
Can anyone say "disappointed" ?

6power

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try it first

I am not trying to belittle the CCI. I bet the expansion offered by the hollowpoint in larger critters is good. Not nearly as "explosive" as the Hornady. If I was to use the cartridges, it would be on larger animals, with larger vital areas. If smaller critters are the target, use the fast expansion, surgically accurate Hornady........

ONLY, my .02

6power

·
Registered
640 Posts
Same results

The hornady ammo usually blows metal cans full of water into aluminum confetti, but the CCI seemed to knock a hole through them that I would consider typical of .22LR performance.

I haven't been able to do any long range accuracy tests yet.

I've done 1.5" 10 round groups at 200 yds before with the hornady rounds. I'm afraid I'll have to conserve them for the long range shooting and use the CCI's as plinkers.

Pity, I hioe the remington premiers with v-max projectile are performers. Should be...

Does anyone know if Federal has any plans to make a .17 hmr round?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've posted this several other places so sorry to be redundant, but.--- I have shot about 250 gophers (ground squirrels) with the Hornadys and about 75 with the CCI's. The CCI's actually shoot just a touch better groups in my CZ,(a tiny bit better, not much) The Hornady's are a lot harder hitters. At 60 or 70 yards a fair number of the CCI's pencil right through a gopher, ( I've shot em and had em run 15 yards and when they stop I see a big red spot through their ribs. At that distance the Hornady's" POP EM" Thursday we were shooting them with Hornady's at 150 to 190 yards, ( no exageration, range finder ) it was like shooting them with a .22 long rifle at 30 yards, really anchored em. I think the jacket's to thick on the TNT's, some of em open, a lot of em don,t. I don't want to jump to judgement but three trips to the field and I'm more convinced then I was the first time I shot em. I've had about 5 boxes CCI's and a case of Hornadys, at first when I saw how well The CCI's shot on paper I was bummed about the case of Hornady at home and the 2 cases on order, not any more! Thats my experience, sure interested in other's.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have also seen reduction in accuracy

Hello, I have also seen a reduction in Accuracy, much worse than you folks by the sound of it. With the CCI's, I couldn't get a group at all, they were all over the place. I immediately started shooting the Hornadys (same shooting session at the range), and accuracy was right back, so it wasn't a rifle or operator issue. The CCI's just don't seem to be any where near as accurate. Of course, this was only my experience. I am shooting a Ruger 77/17 Stainless.

DOD

·
Registered
376 Posts
CCI's vs Hornady vs Remington

I finally got some of the CCI yesterday and I already had some of the other stuff.They all shoot into the same group for me.At 100 yds,from looking at the target,ya can't tell one from the other.The way I understand it,that's a lot different from the norm.Seems like everything I've read here,the CCI stuff opens up the groups and shoots a couple inches to the left or right.

I would also take the V-max's over the CCI's for hunting.Those V-max's are hard to beat for all around 'stopping' power.I'd like to see what the TNT's do to a yote though.Might be a little better,they don't seem to be as 'fragile'.Although the V-max does pretty good on the dogs.:t

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.