Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture of my American's new curly maple Stith stock. It's finished with Arrow Wood without any stain. The scope is a Sightron 36x42. Just got it back together and can't shoot it...it's raining. :(

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. This is the only rifle I have that the wife has paid more than a passing glance at.

hd_snow, Don sells the stock for $175 shipped. There was only minor fitting required to get the action in the way I wanted it. I did have to build up the trigger well a bit for the trigger guard spacer. But, that was easily done when I glass bedded it. The barrel channel is straight cut for a bull barrel, so it got glass bedded too so it would look better to me. The stock came sanded to what felt like 220 grit, so the final sanding was easy.

Don is a great guy to work with. Here's a link to his site:
Don Stith Stocks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Is it strictly a bench gun stock?

The wide front looks like it would be very stable riding sandbags, but how would you say it would handle for a walking varminter stock? I like the heavier stocks on my guns for better stability when shooting offhand, but it looks like the forearm might be too wide to grip well. How much more does it weigh compared to the original stock? Finally, do you know if you can purchase these stocks inletted for the Special as well, since the action-to-stock fitting is different than on the Americans? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick B,
The stock is designed to meet the Sporter class benchrest rules. The forearm is approximately 2 1/4" wide. It weighs almost the same as the original stock, 2 lbs as it comes from Don. I haven't weighed it after doing the bedding and installing the pad, but would guess it is only a few ounces heavier.

I'm not sure about the inlet for a Special. The stock had a recess inside the forearm that looked to be the location hole for the barrel lug...but I'm guessing. I'll call Don and ask him and then post his reply.

I don't think it would pose a problem, at least for me, to use as a field stock since it is only 2 1/4". It fits my hand just fine. Since all I hunt anymore is paper, I was looking for bag stability...got tired of wrestling with the narrow factory stock's forearm.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick B,
I spoke with Don this morning about the inlet for the Special. The recess in the forearm is for the rifle's barrel lug. He said he designed the stock to work with both the Americans and Specials. Hope this helps.

Gary

·
Registered
820 Posts
Good looking Rifle Hillbilly. Mine has the Sightron 36x also.
Good Photo too.....I need a better way to take a picture.

Nick B.....
Mine is the same way.....set up for either American or Special.
To give you an idea of the size: Here's a photo of Three Americans, the top and bottom are Factory, Stith is in the middle.
Although the Stith is longer, the butt is smaller, more straight on the bottom side. The forestock is tapered so the width shouldn't add that much more weight. Besides, the Stith has more wood removed inside than the factory stock.
Your question about fitting the hand.....It fits my hand perfect.
Forestock is 2 1/4" wide.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tn Hillbilly

I just got mine set up to shoot and on paper today,but from the looks of you guys' guns,it won't take me long to start talkin myself into restockin it.:t

Great lookin rifles guys!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hapnin,

I know what you mean! A little nudge is all it takes and the customizing (spelled FUN) begins. Heck, this gun may not shoot any better than it did in its factory stock...but at least now it looks better (to me) and different from all the others on the rack.

You're shooting the email matches aren't you? MangesMade started a monthly thread where we CZ shooters post our scores on this forum in hopes that some of the other CZ shooters will join in. I only got to shoot one target with this rifle at 25 yds this month...it was in pieces the rest of the month. Mike built some great looking benches the other day. I hope he got to shoot off them. Maybe he will post some pics of them.

Let us know when you get started on your new stock.;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Matches

Yeah I shoot em.Not well,but I shoot em just the same.My CZ is a .17 varmint so I'll have to wait a while longer to shoot any match scores with it(need more ammo before I start wastin it on BR).:D
I just got it scoped today,needed some higher rings for the V24.Took it out and sighted it in.Just shot at 50 since the wind was blowin.Needless to say it was one hole 5 shot groups with the Hornady.My buddy couldn't figure out why I bought a CZ til he shot a group with it.heeeheee:t

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hillbilly.....

Gary, I got the "On Line Match" thread started, we didn't get a chance to shoot but I look forward to seeing your scores and also everyone else's.
BTW.....I Started the His and Hers Shooting Benches, not thinking that with two benches we'll need two rifle rest, Duh, Yup, I'm that dense. So, I bought a Hart with a Hoehn windage top for my wife. She said she'll claim the Cowan and I could have the Hart. I guess that's a fair deal?
I'll post pictures of the Benches later, thanks for asking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.