Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CZ452 American was my first adult .22 lr, I bought it to hunt woodchucks. Its very, very accurate, my longest shot on a crow was at about 120 yards, (using CCi stingers). I typically get all my woodchucks in the 20-80 yard range. I use Remington 36 gr. hvhp as my main hunting fodder. I love the rig and have no problems with it, but have been hankering for another CZ.

I've been looking at the varmint, what I would like to do is sight it in with either CCi Velociptors or Stingers and use that as a second hunting rig. Or, should I just get another American? I would like to compare the terminal effects of the hyper velocity rounds to the regular high velocity 22s. And thought the excuse perfect to acquire another rifle. All comments welcomed. I will be making a decision before my birthday on July 20th.

best regards,

Luis Leon

CZ75b, CZ75bd, CZ75 P01, CZ Kadet kit
CZ527 (7.62x39mm) and CZ452 American (.22 lr)

P.S. Did I mention I just love CZs... great values

·
Registered
179 Posts
From what I've heard around here, some beleive the americans are easier to get to shoot superbly because they have two action screws and the varmint model has one action screw and one barrel screw. However, some have had great success with their varmints. If you plan to carry this new gun, I would suggesting looking into the 16" american, I just ordered mine the other day!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The CZ452 American was my first adult .22 lr, I bought it to hunt woodchucks.I've been looking at the varmint
I just got my first CZ453 Varmint, and the SS Trigger is all I ever dreamed it would be, However mine came with a 14 1/16" length of pull and 14 5/16" with the SS trigger set. This is way to long for arctic dress (4" of snowsuits). I will have to have it shortened to 13.250".........:t

·
X-Mod
19,547 Posts
I'd get a Varmint if you're going to get another in 22lr or maybe as suggested a 16" American for a more compact carry rifle.

You could also consider getting a Varmint in .17 hmr or 22 mag for a varmint rig and use the American for your other rimfire hunting.

Anyway, just some ideas. :)

Also the 453 Varmint has two action screws like an American.

Hmmm... 16 days, you better hurry up and decide... :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
varmint

Luis

2 months ago I was in a very difficult dilema, while searching for my first .22lr (I have several centerfire) narrowed my list to CZ american & CZ varmint.

Lots of research and questioning here and there led me to decide for the varmint. First time in the range showed no difference in accuracy within 50, 60 and 70 yards (with the same ammo). Other folks shot the american with no substantial differences.

Only fact is the varmint is a little heavier, if your primary shooting is for hunt, I would recommend the american. Otherwise look for the varmint.

Now I am looking for another varmint in .177

·
Registered
66 Posts
cz varmint

I am thinking about doing the same test offhand with american & varmint. Presume heavier varmint could probably underperform because of extra weight to the arms, and american outperform because it is lighter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gentlemen,

I apologize for not reposting, but after a lot of thought, I decided to stay with my current 452 American a little longer. I instead ordered a dedicated .22 AR15 upper. 10 woodchucks with the American this year.

best regards,

Luis Leon

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
On a similar note I and others have noted the CZ 527FS to be more accurate on the bench than the varmint barrelled variations. In older times the heavy barrel was a sort of guarantee for accuracy over sporter barrels but now it seems lighter barrels that are made right shoot true or truer than the clunkers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a Varmint and traded it off for a 452 Super Exclusive, I have 2 Super Exclusives. I have an American 453 and I am keeping it.
The Varmint is heavy...and the comb is straighter and to me was uncomfortable to shoot. It did shoot but liked the more expensive stuff.
Just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.