Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

American Eagle 22LR Ammo

1082 11
Has any body had any experience with American Eagle 22LR ammo? It is pretty common in South Central Nebraska and pretty reasonably priced ($10.00/500rnds). I have not shot but maybe 200rnds. They seem to be much cleaner than the thundersquirts(Not too much residue on the thumb when loading.)

What sayith the 22LR community?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
With the changes we are hearing about with Federal and other .22 ammo makers, I recommend that you buy some and shoot it ASAP. If it doesn't work you are not out much and got to do some shooting. If it does work, buy a bunch and be glad you got a good price.

Only your rifle will tell you if it will shoot for you. It appears to me that price is winning out over quality. Also, one person report "...it shoots great" and the next person says "...it's crap!". Some are reporting on factory fresh rounds while others are reporting on ammo they bought 10 years ago.

You won't know how it will perform till YOU try it, JMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a case of it last year (rebate + case discount, came to around 6 bucks a brick). The ammo shoots nearly flawlessly in my 10/22 and almost as well in my 22/45. It seems to be pretty accurate as well.

·
Registered
383 Posts
There is no such thing as a common AE ammo.

Different lots are completly different ammo. Some lots have the plated HP bullet and some are Fed Lightning rejects.

Some lots are very good and some are complete junk.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Intresting comments so far...

My experience with the AE is somewhat limited - only a couple hundred rounds so far in a couple of my bolt guns with good groupings at 50yds, especially from my Savage.:)
At the same time I was doing my evaluation shoot, the guy next to me was also shooting AE and having wretched results from his 10/22 and a CZ with a good scope. Don't know if the ammo lots are inconsistent, or just incompatable with that shooters choice of firearms. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
There are 2 AE rounds...

There are 2 different AE rounds:

AE22, 22 Long Rifle HV, 38 gr HP, Copper-Plated , 40 /box
(sister round to the Federal Classic, 712)

AE5022, 22 Long Rifle HV, 40 gr Solid, 50 /box
(sister round to the Federal Lightning, 510)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Shot some today.

I took a 77/22 and a 10/22T to the range today. Shot CC Mini Mag and AE HP. The AE grouped better out of both guns at 50 yards.

Does anyone know where I can mail order AE? Please let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.