Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Am I nuts to consider Moly Resin coating my Trailside?

520 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Overkill
I have some black Norell's Moly Resin left over from an AR15 project and I am thinking about doing the barrel/frame on my Trailside to protect it from corrosion. Aside from impacting resale, is there any reason not to do it.

I know how to do it and my AR project turned out really well.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't get to shoot my guns as much as I would like to. As a result, I end up "maintaining" them more. I got through a lot of CLP and my guns are spotless ;) I also store my guns in a safe with a big dessicant package.

When I do shoot, I notice the Trailside's barrel/frame - particularly the bottom trigger guard - seems more prone to oxidation than my other guns. Maybe because I have sweaty hands. Moly Resin would address that.

I'm not concerned with resale, I have the moly resin on hand and think it would be a fun project.

BTW - The AR I moly resined has a one-piece free-float tube, so I moly resined the barrel because I won't be able to clean/lubricate/protect it without removing the front sight base and free float tube. I don't neglect my guns.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
I would prefer to see some wear/corrosion spots on a using gun rather than see some crappy coating wear off and become as ugly as I suspect it will. For me this is more of a concern with a quality gun like a Trailside than say a Ruger Mk II. In other forums I've read several instances where home applied coatings turned out less than what was hoped for.

Are you nuts? yeah but that's just my opinion and you asked.

If you go ahead with the project keep us posted how it's working.

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Point taken. I probably won't go forward with this project because I'd prefer not to tear my Trailside down that far unless necessary. However, I can tell you Moly Resin is not "some crappy coating". It's good enough for the likes of the US military (SOCOM) and Wilson Combat.

Like any other paint or coating job, the quality of the home applied coating job has more to do with (1) the do-it-yourselfer's ability to rigorously follow instructions and (2) preparation, preparation, preparation. If a home applied Moly Resin job didn't turn out, it was probably user error, IMO. My first Moly Resin job turned out perfect and has yet to scratch or chip, and I don't baby my guns.

· Registered
118 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of my Springfield Mil-Spec with a Moly Resin finish. The slide and controls are matte black and the frame is dark grey/black.

The finish is awesome- amazingly smooth. I did a lot of prep work, including re parkerizing the pistol before applying the Moly Resin (the park gives the finish more "bite").

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.