Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know nothing about 10/22's but i bought a regular carbine, and i want to strart my ultimate, if you guys could give me links and stuff for stocks, barrels, them extractors and bolt buffers you are all always talking about, trigger stuff, and any thing else that i need, thanks in advance

·
Registered
199 Posts
I`m still learning myself, but may I recommend that you take a week off work so you can try and read most of this site(j/k). All your questions already have the answers posted, you just have to look. I am sure you will have as much fun as I have had finding answers(some good reading too) and checking out all the great pics of all the different 10/22s on here also. There are some mighty talented people on here and they are more than willing to help. Good luck.

Canuck :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's a quick list of good places to visit/other info:

1) Skim through RFC and utilize the search feature when
you want to do a little research on things.

2) Here is a good place for a guided break down of the
10/22 :

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/triggerruger1022.htm

3) Visit the sponsors sites, to name a few:
"Weaponkraft"
They sell great buffers, and other parts
and even complete upgrade packages
the owner is even a local on this site
how cool is that eh?

http://www.hawktecharms.com/
This one is also a pretty good sponsor site.

Tons more on here, give them all a good look.

4) As for more stocks and other parts just google
up "Ruger 10/22" You'll be hit with an abundance
of information and sites selling things.
Ebay isnt a bad place to -look- either.

I'm sure I'm missing alot (It's rather late right now) but
it's a start, enjoy your new rifle. When your bored skim
through the ultimate section if you havent allready might
find some things you like there.

Sileighty

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
First, EMBRACE your new jones. Second, cruise the 'stickies' at the top of the various sections of this site. Also look at the Tips and Tricks here. Then, visit some of the sponsor sites. Spend a little time going through the galleries to see the photos. Decide what you want to do with it, and then start to narrow things down. Ask some questions and you will get all kinds of help. The 10/22 is easy to work with. A couple months ago I was in your shoes, and everyone took care of me here.

·
Registered
938 Posts
crossfire said:
and any thing else that i need, thanks in advance
CASH :D :D :D

and lots of it....... But seriously, the tough part is deciding exactally what your going to use it for and then build toward it. Benchrest requires many of the same items (barrel, trigger, bedding, stock) Vs a critter rifle. Now there are those that want that same accuracy in a critter rifle or for shooting other target games off-hand. Ya just need to help us with a little more info.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
This is my advice for a first time build:

1. "Internals": go to Weaponkraft & order a 10/22 Ultimate Package. This will include a WK buffer, Volquartsen extractor, Volquartsen Hammer, & a WK hex-head takedown screw. All of these parts are "must haves" in my book. All are very easy to install. If you have troubles there's lots of folks here to help.

2. "Barrel": I think Green Mountain makes has the best ratio of dollars-to-quality of any barrel maker. Yes, you can buy a "better" barrel (Lilja, Clark, Volquartsen, etc), but you will pay near twice the price of the the GM barrels. For a first-timer, go to Stafford Sales. I think the 16" barrels are the best.

3. "Stock": Both Boyd and Revival make good stocks. Gatewood & a few others make some nice "higher-end" stocks. For a first-timer: pick a nice Boyd or Revival laminate and go from there. You can link to their sites on the sponsor area (Staffords also carries a nice selection of both companies' products.) A good "all-around" stock is the Boyd Smartstock. It's a good balance between off-hand and bench shooting styles.

4. "Optics": Since you are building a tackdriver, you will want a nice scope on top. There are so many opinions on this, I'll recommend you look around for options. If you plan on doing lots of "fast" shooting at moving targets, you may consider a red dot sight as an alternative. As far as mounts, Jack Weigand makes my favorite mounts. These require no gunsmithing. They just bolt into the reciever holes.

5. "Others": you will likely want an extended magazine release (my favorite is the Ranch Products release; it's sold at Midway USA.) There are about a dozen options there. You can also find triggers, sears, receiver pins, barrel tuners, and the list goes on. I think for a first-time customizer, the above four items will be a good start.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Welcome to the asylum!!
My best advise is to RUN!!!
If you insist on staying, then be prepaired. First off don't take anyone including me as the ultimate expert! We all learn as we go. Decide what YOU want and look up parts that do what you desire. I'm an expert at being sidetracked. Stay focused and build one at a time. I doubt you'll ever finish building all the ideas you have!!
Welcome again, and remember that medication is tax deductable in most states (of mind).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dr. Mongoose said:
Welcome to the asylum!!
My best advise is to RUN!!!
If you insist on staying, then be prepaired. First off don't take anyone including me as the ultimate expert! We all learn as we go. Decide what YOU want and look up parts that do what you desire. I'm an expert at being sidetracked. Stay focused and build one at a time. I doubt you'll ever finish building all the ideas you have!!
Welcome again, and remember that medication is tax deductable in most states (of mind).
Good advice, Heh another jax 10/22 enthusiest, So far I'v noted 3 not including myself. Very cool wonder how many of you guys I see at the range somtimes and just never know it

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Advice???

Does it matter? If you got past all the other posts to get to mine, you won't listen anyhow!!!!! One last atemtpt to save you, shut off the computer, go buy some ice cream and a 12 pack, when the wife starts jabbering, drink a beer and give some ice cream, continue, till your outta beer or asleep, and repeat till you get arthritus.........
PS
If that didn't work, might as well order a stock and a barrel, right now, to get a head start on all the other STUFF you'll need!!! See you at the range...... Knew you couldn't resist!! Ruger is like this mass hypnotist that convinced us that we don't need a new truck or a house, just a new trigger assy, and a scope, and a......... you know what I mean.......... your eyes are getting sleepy, very sleepy, now go to your nearest gun shop and buy a........ Thats how it started,........Anyway in a month or two, send us a pic of your new rifles!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
some of the places i have been shopping for pieces are crankyfarmer.com and ebay just run a search and use10/22 under all catagories.
I'm in the middle of building my 3rd ultimate and these are the best places for parts that I have found. I started out with an "action in a box" from a friend the best place for small pieces is from ruger cost of peices plus 3.50 s/h. parts list and diagrams for research at ruger.com but have to call for parts order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.