Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Alaskan Varmint hunting?

583 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Gamegun
I live in anchorage, Anywhere to go Varmint hunting around here? I'd like to try it. With my 10/22 of course:D
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
I haven't had the chance to go small game hunting in Alaska just yet, but there's a place I want to check out. I think that along the north shore of the Knik River might be a good spot. To get there head north on the Glen highway about twenty miles. After you cross the Knik river there will be an exit (Knik river access), take it and then go left at the bottom of the ramp (go through the tunnel under the highway), take a left at the stop sign and head down to the parking area near the river. After you park, head east along the shore of the river. Like I said, I haven't tried this spot so don't expect tons of critters. If you go, please let me know how it is. Maybe when I get home in November we can meet and do some hunting. If you're interested email me or pm me.

Hope this helps.

Slipkid

· Registered
2 Posts
There are rock chucks around (hoarry marmots). Look for them in high bowls at or near timberline in sheep country. There are also franklin, ruffed, blue, and sharptail grouse as well as the ptarmigan. This time of year you can find them along logging roads getting gravel mid morning. Then there are snow shoe hares and red squirrels. You can find the red squirrels wherever there are spruce trees.
Hope this helps, I lived in Fairbanks a long time ago and miss it terribly.
Good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.