Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have you taken with your air rifle?

I just bought a RWS Model 34, .22cal at 800 fps. What is it capable of.

How many have used it for real hunting? I hear stories of coyote, ground hog and such???

Gadget

·
Registered
136 Posts
Here's a couple of websites about airgun hunting.

Randy's airgun varmint hunting page Excellant site, be sure to check out the gallery.
Air gun hunting and pest control This is a Brittish site, has some good tips.
Pellet performance Interesting article about pellet terminal performance.
Beeman airguns Excellant air rifles and some good articles.
Straight Shooters Another good site, click on products and features and check out some of the articles.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

Slipkid

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I suggest with your 34 to stick with squirrels and rabbit...raccoon and opossims are possible but not a sure thing if you don't hit them right.

Another thing that I may have to dissapoint you is that your 34 doesn't really do 800 fps if you use quality pellets..more like high 600-low 700 fps range. Thus the power isn't what you think it is. They are generally about 14-16 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I wouldn't try anything

bigger than squirrels and then only
head shots.Good close in for pest birds.
Varmintgetter is right adv, fps is with lightest pellets.Not hunting
pellets.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My RWS 38 has taken many possums here and with only two shots, also a few skunks. It has also done a very excellent job on Crows also.
When I first got the rifle I checked the velocity and it was getting 997 fps (.177) but then after 6 months it was down to 885 fps. It was rated at 1100 fps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
phil in alabama said:
Anybody says that they have an airgun that will kill coyote, dogs, etc., or will shoot through a 55 gallon drum, get out your knee boots, it's going to get deep fast! Squirrels, birds and rabbits, no problem, but I wouldn't push it much further, just get out the .22 cartridge rifle and take care of business!:)
Phil,

Much has changed in the airgun sector. For instance, there is a 9mm air rifle on the market, as well as .44 and .50 caliber rifles. I'll attach some images of game taken by these rifles. You can find the pics and the stories that go with them here.

Slipkid

*Edit: Added captions to the pics.*

DC sent this impressive photo from a recent hunt. D wrote, "I am sending this photo of the 130 lb. wild hog I shot on Jan. 7, 2001. It was taken in the Florida Everglades, with a 130 gr. Pellet Man Solid pellet. I used my stock Big Bore 44. The only thing I did to the airgun is add a Simmons scope. I am an avid big bore junkie, I own a 9MM Career, Big Bore 44, Kauffman 28 gauge stainless airshotgun, and an LD double barrel 20 gauge airshotgun. I plan to go after even larger game than the hog...deer?...elk?...I will keep you posted". "All I can say is WOW! Way to go D"!

DP took this nicely furred Grey Fox using his 9MM Career, with a 100 gr. Pellet Man Solid pellet. D's Career is scoped with a Bushnell Trophy 4-12X40MM scope, in a Beeman one piece mount. D's fox was taken during the night from a bait station (legal in his state) behind his house. D uses road kills to attract these cagey predators. D wrote, "The fox was standing quartering away at about 25 yards. The pellet hit her square in the shoulder and exited out the neck! She dropped like a stone"! "Beautiful fox D"!

EH took this fine coyote with a .50 caliber Quackenbush. The big bore air rifle fires a 182 gr. ball at 800 fps. E wrote this about the hunt. "The yote came in after a couple minutes of calling. At about 60 yards he stopped and then decided to walk to the side. After "woofing" at him a few times he stopped long enough for me to take the shot which hit him in the meaty part of his leg! He ran about 50 yards and collapsed behind a tree! The lead ball had apparently deflected into his vitals! What a rush"!

DC has taken airgun hunting to a new level with this great photo of a 600 lb. Rocky Mountain cow elk he took with an air rifle! D took his trophy elk from a private herd on a game ranch in Upstate New York where state game laws governing elk hunting are not in effect. D reported that along with professional guidance, a whole year of preparation went into this hunt to insure a humane harvest of his quarry. D took the elk with a lung shot from 28 yards as it travelled past him along the trail! D's "big game" air rifle is a .50 caliber Quackenbush Bandit. The ammo used for this elk hunt was a Speer .495" round ball. "What's next D, Grizzly Bear"?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Slipkid,

Am I going off of the deep end, or is that a cow elk?

And, please don't tell me that you shot that with an air rifle.....

I'm going out of my mind :eek:

If I'm not reading that wrong, please give me more information!

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do you guys think of the Webley&Scott Raider Compressed air cylinder rifle? I am planning on saving up enough money for a quality .177 air rifle and this may just fit... Also, does compressed air get effected by tempatures like Co2 air does?
Matt.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Viper, There is a lot of powerful juju in the wierd world of air rifles. With the loss of many of their firearm privileges, the Brits have become the foremost innovators in the world of airgunning.

Also I read somewhere that about 190 years ago, Napoleon went up against a small Austrian unit of crack shots armed with repeating air rifles. These rifles had an air reservoir in the buttstock with a reserve capacity of either 10 or 20 shots, lethal and accurate to 200 yards. The accuracy and high rate of fire of this unit caused so many casulties that Napoleon decreed execution on the spot for anyone using these rifles (what a sorehead). Same thing as happened hundreds of years before when the crossbow first arrived in Europe.

Just some trivia. Lf

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Viper...

According to the website that came from, it was a .50 cal air rifle. (600 pound cow elk.)
If I remember right, at about 25 yards (Don't remember for sure) in the lungs. If you go to the site mentioned above, that picture is in one of the last three or four pages of the 25 or so on the site.

Ron

·
Registered
136 Posts
Viper,

I didn't shoot any of these animals. I edited the post to include the captions with the pictures. You should really checkout Randy's Airgun hunting page. Be sure to checkout the galleries too.

Matt, the Welby Raider is an excellent air rifle. If you plan to hunt with it, I'd recommend a .22 cal.

Slipkid

·
Registered
193 Posts
Refer to this thread for alot of pictures of airgun hunting.http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8474

I personally have taken numerous Piegons, Grackles, and alot of mice and rats with my airguns. I only had cheap ones because that was al i needed but I always dreamed of a carrer 707 or a beeman CMIII which is one of the most powerful spring powered airguns that I know of, although it costs $1,000!!!

The RWS was a great choice! I personally love RWS's and they are of great quality.

There is a campground out back of my trailer park that my mom and I live in and their is ALOT of piegons that flock there so I used to just go and sit down on a picnic table, pop open a coke and just pic them off at my leisure. Keep in mind that this was in the off-season, there was NO campers there and in maine and other states piegons are considered a nusiance so you can kill them at you leausre along with those annoying grackles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
PLEASE!

OK, first off I know a little about air guns, from years of back yard shooting. BUT I would have to say that that guy who said he killed a cow elk with a .50cal air gun is full of S#!t. Considering that it was shot in the US I would imagine that it would be illeagle and cruel to shoot a cow elk with a air gun, not to mention just plain stupid because he could have just used a gun. Im not saying that the UK air guns arent extreamly powerfull, because they are, however the idea of killing a cow elk with one is just ludicris. Im acctually sad that this is accepted as fact, because you guys are so eager to believe to a air gun is capable to accomplish such extream feats, the reality of the situation is not even brought into play. Wheather or not this is really true you guys are way to believing. SDshooter

·
Registered
193 Posts
SDshooter, I agree with you that you would have to be an inhumane ******* to try to kill an animal so massive such as an Elk with an airgun when you could have just used a Rifle.

I can understand killing a boar or coyotes with an .44 or .50cal airgun but since this was a private ranch then there is nothing that they can do about it.
D took his trophy elk from a private herd on a game ranch in Upstate New York where state game laws governing elk hunting are not in effect
This is a link to a guide service that is in my state and scrool to the very bottom and you will see a young boy that killed a black bear with a ruger MK II .22 handgun, In my opinion that was the most dumbass move you could make by sending a 11year old after a bear with a .22! watch as the bear turns around and breaks the kids back in one blow and then the parents will turn around and sue the ranch!

Bear killed by young Steve Nissley using a
Ruger Mark II 22 cal. handgun
But you have to consider that an Airgun is not a toy and it is capable of harvesting game but how big is up to the shooter

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I would have to say that is the beyond stupid. However If I was in a war I would definatly want that 11 year old boy on my side, because he is a real hard ***! Killing a bear with a .22, that kid would be perfect for special forces or clearing mine fields. SDshooter

·
Registered
410 Posts
confirmed airgun kills

17 squirrels , 32 various birds, 47 yard felines
all with my RWS model 48(.177) , iron sights, beeman crow magnum pellets
I used to live in an apartment complex when I was in the military.I was lucky enough to live in an end unit with 2 windows in the bedroom( onle looking straight to the dumpster and one looking to the road and sidewalk leading to the dumpster).
Im guesssing that the cats I shot were strays . there used to be hundreds of them that would get into the dumpster and stuff up looking for food.
I dont know if you have ever been to a military town or not but it seems like there are more stray animals in them . Alot of apartments wont allow pets so folks just "set them free".

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hey coyote man,

That is my Marlin 882SSV .22WMR.

It is equipped with a Richard's Micro-Fit Electric Blue Laminated WildCat Gunstock.

Try saying that 3X fast!

This gun shoots groups right around .3" with both Winchester Supremes and CCI TNTs at 50 yards, with 5 shots.

Definitely one of my favorite rifles!

You can check their stocks out here:

Richard's Micro-Fit

Thanks for the compliments and good luck!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.