Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a cheap Chineese spring piston for a about 2 decades, but it doesn't get much use. The trigger is horrendous with about 2' of take-up. It screams pellets though.

I'd like to have a "nice" air rifle. What I mean by that is that it needs to be accurate and have a decent trigger. Velocity isn't as important. I'm guessing, subsonic is probably the way to go.

I'm looking to dispatch starlings, etc. out to about 50 yards +/-. I don't do much 10 yard shooting. I'm not looking to shoot in a hurry. I'm also not looking to break the bank. I'm kinda cheap.

Recommendations?

·
Premium Member
2,407 Posts
I've had the same .177 RWS 27 made by Diana for about 40 years.

It's excellent, but that also means I haven't had a need to buy another so I know nothing about the current market.

My 27 does about 650 FPS. I don't shoot over 20 to 25 yards and mostly closer.

My advice is this........don't be cheap. Buy a big name with reviews that show excellent quality.

You'll do better and probably still have it 40 years later.

Shotgun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have 2 RWS/Diana 34 T06 Classics .177 and they are deadly < 53 yrds. w/1 shot 1 kill head shots to nuisance squirrels. Diana does not make the Classic any longer but they now have the 34 EMS in synthetic or wood stocks.
If I was buying a new spring piston air rifle today it would be a Beeman R9 or R7, either has the superb Rekord trigger as does the Weihrauch HW50S & HW80 that Beeman buys and converts into their R9/R7.
As mentioned don't buy cheep and if your budget allows go German.

·
Premium Member
9,194 Posts
My advice is this........don't be cheap. Buy a big name with reviews that show excellent quality.

You'll do better and probably still have it 40 years later.

View attachment 331899
Excellent advice. Buy the best you can possibly afford, maybe a little more, it will pay big dividends for you. A fine air rifle will last you as long as a fine firearm and get shot a heckuva lot more. Go to the credit union if you have to, but stay away from cheap inexpensive air rifles.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is no such thing as a good cheap air rifle. If all you are doing is minor pest control, get a Crossman 760 or other solid barrel pump pellet/bb gun. Break barrel springers are good, but the sights MUST be on the barrel not the rear on the receiver. Springers eat scopes, break barrels vertical string badly with a receiver mounted sight/optic.

If you want to go all in on a "good" air rifle the cost of equipment will cost more than an above average rimfire.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
To add, as mentioned get an air rifle rated scope as a break barrel springer will eat a conventional scope in a heart beat due to the fwd/rev recoil of the piston in the air rifle. There are several air rifle rated brands available but probably the 2 most recognized are UTG/Leapers & Hawke. I have been using a couple of UTG's 4-16x50 AO True Strength Hunters on my Diana's since 2013 & 2015 respectively and they still hold zero after many tins of pellets.

Another key attribute of a higher quality air rifle is after purchase service and support. Many come with a limited life time wty. and rebuild parts are readily available for the diy market or can be sent to service centers with relatively quick turn around. My 2013 Diana 34 encountered an issue in 2015 and after contacting Umarex, who was the importer/service center, I was told to send them the barreled action only including the repair ticket they emailed me. The rifle was returned to me within 2 weeks with a new mainspring, spring guide and seal installed all under wty., it's still going strong.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I shot a springer for years until I discovered PCP.
I've got a Diana Stormrider. I bought it with a pump, a package deal. It may have run 300 bucks or something like that.
An absolute tack-driver at 30 yards with wad cutters.
I get 35 to 40 good shots with a full charge.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
The only caveat is the cocking method. If youre not strong or have a problem “break barrels “ can be a b#gger to cock . The more you want to practice the tougher it gets. I’ve found the “under lever” style to be the easiest. Weihrauch 77

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Pest control is either a multi pump as in a Benjamin 397 or a pcp Benjamin marauder.
If you chose a multi pump for rats,mice, armadillo's, squirrels or birds .177 cal. run of the mill will be fine if larger than get a cheapish.22 cal. multi pump.
My bet is you won’t want to shell out $600-$1200 for a pcp pellet gun and equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Pest control is either a multi pump as in a Benjamin 397 or a pcp Benjamin marauder.
If you chose a multi pump for rats,mice, armadillo's, squirrels or birds .177 cal. run of the mill will be fine if larger than get a cheapish.22 cal. multi pump.
My bet is you won’t want to shell out $600-$1200 for a pcp pellet gun and equipment.
Springers have a self contained power plant you can get them in several calibers .177 is the most common.
50 yards is stretching it more powerful get heavier. for my money it's the HW 30s or also called Beeman R7
I don't mention the 27 cause the are difficult to find no longer made. I got one as well but when the action calls
I pick up the R7.
Check it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Lots of good advice in this thread, though I will disagree with the breakbarrels stringing vertically comment. Only a low end or damaged break barrel will string vertically with reciever sights. I have two set up with peep sights, a AW, aka FWB, 124 and a Diana 45, no issues with either. Good airgun rated scopes will hold on most Springer's as long as the power level isnt absurd. The old gas ram theoben eliminators I've owned would destroy the very toughest of scopes, namely the old Burris mini 6x. That being said I would go along with the recommendations to buy an HW in any model that suits your needs. The tooling for their 177 barrels is suspect though, as I've had quite a few in this caliber that weren't super accurate. I know this is subjective, in that one man's tack driver is another's dog, but the .20 and 22 cal HWs have been consistently more accurate for me. An unmentioned option is to hunt the gun shows for a used springer, with the thought it will need to be overhauled, because they often do. There are also airgun specific shows, like the one coming up this october, in Newton NC. I would recommend avoiding anything chinese, spanish or Turkish though, whether you go new or used.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Springers have a self contained power plant you can get them in several calibers .177 is the most common.
50 yards is stretching it more powerful get heavier. for my money it's the HW 30s or also called Beeman R7
I don't mention the 27 cause the are difficult to find no longer made. I got one as well but when the action calls
I pick up the R7.
Check it out.
Same with multi pump and are easier to hit what your aiming at.
In my limited experience I personally would only suggest springers “cheap” to people I don’t like or want a competitive edge over.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
50 yards is stretching it more powerful get heavier.
I agree on the distance with a .177 but it also depends on the quality of the barrel. Both of my Diana's are 100% German with German tooled barrels. One is sighted in @ 25 yrds. the other @ 50 yrds. and both routinely hit their mark with a single shot as illustrated on our pecan trees.
Plant Vertebrate Nature Tree Botany
Automotive tire Tire Synthetic rubber Tints and shades Carbon
Fawn Grass Terrestrial animal Plant Grey squirrel

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
A quality air rifle is a joy
Springers are kinda tough to shoot well offhand or bench
Mine are one that is a multi-pump pneumatic
Three that are single pump pneumatic
And a bunch of springers, But No Longer any high-velo ones! They HV never shot all that well for me. And ate scopes.
I know I would like a pcp, it would be much more like a powder-burner, but I am not likely going there due to the necessary 'extras' to shoot one.
Besides, Ive learned how to shoot springers pretty decently. It has been said that if you can shoot a springer well you can shoot anything (well, maybe not an elephant gun, thats a whole 'nuther thing!).

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My springer HW 97K also does well off the bench....now....but I had to learn how to do it, it was not just sit down, shoot like my 22lr bench gun and get good results.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts