Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Aguila Super Extra 40 grain Solid Point in their TX22? How was the function and accuracy (group sizes) and how dirty or clean was it? Dunham's is having a Black Friday special on the 250 round box.

Attachments

·
Registered
998 Posts
I just bought a 1000 rounds at Rural King for for $16.99 a box plus tax. I’ve shot out of one box which functioned 100% but like a lot of rimfire a little smokey.

My 22 rimfires always have functioned well on this ammo. I’ve shot many cases of that ammo over the years. I find it’s performance is pretty close to CCI Mini Mags.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use it in rifles (CZ-Ruger-Savage) and a Buck Mark utx pistol. It works well in all and the best bulk ammo I have found in a year. Not as dirty as most.
Both the 40 grain solids and 38 grain HP do very similar/well in my firearms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've used the Aguila in my TX22 and Ruger 10/22 and both function perfectly with and I get great accuracy as well. It also shoots well in my S&W Model 17 revolver but it is little harder to load into the chambers eject the empties. Guess maybe the cases are slightly thicker.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Around my area, the 38grn hollow point and 40grn solid nose are the same price. Any reason to use one over the other just for plinking?
I did a 25 yard benchrest testing with three types of ammo:
CCI Clean 40 grain averaged 3"to 3.5" groups.
Aguila Super Extra 40 grain averaged 3.5" to 4" groups.
CCI Meat Eater 36 grain averaged well over 6" groups.

From what I've read, others have found the same results, that the lighter bullets groups really open up in the TX22. My other 22's had very little difference in group sizes between the lighter and heavier bullets.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I did a 25 yard benchrest testing with three types of ammo:
CCI Clean 40 grain averaged 3"to 3.5" groups.
Aguila Super Extra 40 grain averaged 3.5" to 4" groups.
CCI Meat Eater 36 grain averaged well over 6" groups.

From what I've read, others have found the same results, that the lighter bullets groups really open up in the TX22. My other 22's had very little difference in group sizes between the lighter and heavier bullets.
I'd be interested in seeing how CCI SV 40gr "Target" does, compared to the others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't used the 40gr, but I've used the 38grn hp's. They work just as good as velocitors and stingers in my tx22 and rossi rs22. They sure have a distinct smell.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just mounted a Lakeline adapter and a Venom red dot on my standard TX22 and also have a Lakeline buffered recoil spring and found the following:

I tried CCI Clean 40 grain ammo, which has the same exact ballistics at their Mini-Mag ammo and the gun short cycles about a third of the time, because of the extra weight on the slide of the red dot and the adapter.

The Aguila Super Extra, which also has the same rated ballistics as the Mini-Mags must be slightly hotter, as it runs 100% and just as accurate. I've been able to get 25 yard 2" or less groups off of a pistol rest with it. It's also just as clean as the CCI ammo.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts