Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on another thread that someone was using Aguila subsonic rounds. I've been told that these rounds do not perform well with semi-auto rifles (occasionally having rounds not clear the barrel).

Does anyone have any experience with them? I've shot Aguila subs from other actions (bolt, lever), but have been leery of trying them in my 10/22.

Any input?

DFARM, not trying to single you out in particular, I just noticed that you mentioned using Aguila subs and was curious....

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Think there may be some confusion between the subsonic rounds and the Colibri or Super Colibri ammo.

The subsonic is regular 22 ammo, loaded to subsonic velocity (under around 1100fps), and should cycle the action on any 22 autoloader without enough loss of velocity to cause "sticking" in the barrel.

The colibris use little or no powder as a propellant, relying primarily on the primer to propel the bullet. They won't reliably cycle the action of many autoloaders and may not exit the barrel of some due to even more loss of velocity/momentum from blow back of the autoloading mechanism.

I've used Colibris in a couple of bolt rifles and they've worked OK, just not spectacular accuracy. Have heard of a few occasions where they failed to exit the barrel of some bolt rifles also.

The 60gr Super SubSonic (SSS) rounds should also cycle an autoloader action with no problem, however the long heavy bullet needs a faster twist to stabilize for good accuracy.

The key here with these is velocity - the subsonic rounds all have muzzle velocity around 1025fps, the SSS around 950fps, and the Colibri & Super Colibri 375 & 500fps respectively. Standard velocity 22 ammo has MV around 1100-1150fps with high velocity going about 1200fps or better. Aguila also mfg's the 22LR Super Maximum round, said to achieve 1750fps with a 30gr bullet, which is getting darn close to standard 22WMR velocity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
re. aguila subsonics

these are my rounds of choice in my cz lux. .5" @ 50 yds. had a 10/22 with GM barrel that shot about the same. the problem was that the rounds did not have enough poop to cycle the action reliably even after cutting more than half of the recoil spring off. i'm sure that other things could be done to correct this but i kind of gave up on the rifle because the cz went bang every time,was just as if not more accurate,was quieter,and had about half the investment in it over the ruger. i find that the winchester dynapoints are only slightly noisier than the aguilas and should have enough energy to cycle your gun. most cordially, vic

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was using the SE subsonics and they worked pretty well. I have fired the super colibris through the stock carbine barrell and they were soup can accurate to 25 yards or so but not much more. I got sick of having to cycle by hand so I started using the sss rounds when I wanted to be quieter.

·
Premium Member
Gunsmithing 10/22's and 77/22"s since 1994 Phone 1-860-343-0552
1,329 Posts
My 10/22 did not like the Aguila Subsonic... I bought 2 bricks, tried a few from each brick and there was a big difference between the two bricks... I was lucky to find someone to buy them both... Other peoples 10/22's seem to have no problems with them but I will not buy them again...

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I've lodged colibri's

I have used all of the subsonic rounds I could get my hands on and never had one get stuck in the barrel, however one aguila sub. made a pathetic whump and the bullet landed about ten feet in front of me and left unburnt poweder in my barrel. I did however have a super colibri get stuck in my barrel, it was quickly removed by a cleaning rod. I still like shooting the super colibris due to the fact that they are really quiet. I would reccomend carrying a dowel around for pushing out anything that might get stuck. So far i'm trough a brick and only one has stayed in the barrel.
-comfisherman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.