Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting hold of some Aguila SSS Sniper SubSonic 60gr ammo to try in my suppressed .22. Has anyone used this ammo much? What were your experiences with it- good or bad? I have a bolt action rifle, so whether it will cycle a semi-auto or not is not important to me. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
415 Posts
At 25 yards it shoot a inch low and tight groups out of my romanian 69 at 50 yards groups were 2 1/2 to 3 inches but still no tumbling and they droped 3 to 4 inches at 50 I did not try it 100 because if I got 3 inch groups at 50 then at 100 I figured it would be at least 6 inches or more so why bother it would not be a accurate enough round at that distance at least out of my gun but it worked well at 25 and not bad at 50. Here is a pic at 25 yards the center target and the one on the upper right is the SSS 60 grain the one on the upper left was using federal target for a comparison, groups were 5 shot groups. I have heard some guys having problems with this round at longer ranges and some at closer but at 25 yards my romanian likes it Jim

·
Registered
158 Posts
Subsonic out of a surpressed Boltaction?

It ought to do very nicely indeed. :D
The faster the twist and the shorter the barrel, the better.
I have 2 TOZ (Russian) rifles with 1:14" twists and very short chambers = stabelize the long heavy bullets and even without a surpresser, are very quiet. They won't ever take home any awards for pinpoint accuracy, but in the proper rifle, they'll work just fine.:t

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
SSS work well with the Stevens Marksman Mod. 12 rifle and Walther P22T pistol

Ziplok2, I seem to have one of those proper rifles, even a pistol, too. My Stevens Marksman Model 12, under-lever actuated, single shot, made in the 1920s, or 1930s, shoots the SSS in a similar way as shown on the target posted by jh45gun. Provided that a sighting-in has been correctly done beforehand, at 25m and even a bit longer, there is no keyholing.

I was, also, pleasantly surprized to find out that the SSS shoots well out of my Walther P22 Target (5"-barrel), provided that I file the tip of Aguila's nose with the Beljian, or Hanned, tool.

Unmodified SSS fodder still keyholes in the P22.

The sights on the P22 must be adjusted specifically to suit the SSS at a given distance. Preliminary T&E (Tests and Experimentation) with the P22/SSS combination seem to indicate that the SSS shoots higher and to the left, than the 40grainers' average POI, at a distance of 15m .

According to my T&E, the meplat on SSS's nose seems to eliminate the keyholing issue with the P22, and helps to keep that nose straight with the Stevens 12 rifle at longer than 25-30m, or so, shooting distances.

Crete

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
they shoot "ok" single shot in my AMT with a Butler Creek carbon fiber barrel. Not the most accurate but "ok".
They tumble when fired from my CZ Ultra Lux.
They're also DIRTY ammo.
Paul

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone, this is precisely the kind of info I was after. I should probably have added that I use this rifle for hunting rather than target work.
Still, the overall concensus seems to be that while it works fine in some rifles, it is only accurate at shorter ranges, and may well keyhole. Overall, it doesn't seem like it is worth the hassle. I guess I'll probably try a box if I come across some for sale, but I won't be going out of my way to find any.
:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Subsonic in NZ

Hi Mate ,

I would just buy a packet of 50rd's and try in your weapon's ,the BIG problem is that most 22's have a 1-16/17 twist , and the overly long/heavy 60gr bullet of the SSS well ususally NOT stablise , ie will key hole , and if it keyhole's inside a silencer , say good buy to it.

A very good rule when using suppressed weapon's is shot it with out the can on at short and med ranges to establish if it is stable , if it is then you can mount the can.

The 60gr SSS round need's around a 1-9 inche twist to stablise , this ammo in Most rifle's is a waste of time , there are 2 issue's ,

1, Round is usually Un-stable in standard 22's

2, The consistancey is not that good , shot to shot.

If you want a good subsonic round that is heavy than normal 22's and is consistant and accurate , buy some Lapua Scoremax , it use's a 48gr bullet ( heaviest 22 bullet in a std LR case ) and is subsonic and very accurate , as it is a match load , expect to cost around the same as the SSS ammo.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Subsonic in NZ

ChrisF said:
A very good rule when using suppressed weapon's is shot it with out the can on at short and med ranges to establish if it is stable , if it is then you can mount the can................
If you want a good subsonic round that is heavy than normal 22's and is consistant and accurate , buy some Lapua Scoremax , it use's a 48gr bullet ( heaviest 22 bullet in a std LR case ) and is subsonic and very accurate , as it is a match load , expect to cost around the same as the SSS ammo. [/B]
Thanks for the reply. A few complications though-
My rifle is fully suppressed (integral suppressor), so I cannot try the ammo without the suppressor attached.
With the scoremax, as far as I understand, it is a match round, nit really suitable for hunting. Is this the case?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Mate ,

So I take it you have a gun from Mark Percy ah ,
To me the fact it has NO hollowpoint is good ,even if a rimfire hollow point bullet opened up at subsonic velocities , which to be frank is debatable.

The solid nose bullet will penetrate deeper , causing more damage on game , hollow point bullet's driven at subsonic velocity is more hype than reality.

Lapua scoremax is approx the same price as the SSS rd in NZ , but it's a much more ususable round in your average rimfire rifle.

The main features of it are :

1, Heaviest bullet in a std LR lenght case at 48gr
2,Solid point bullet , best at subsonic speed's
3, Match grade accuracy

Normal subsonic ammo sold in NZ is any where from 38-40gr in weight , most is 38gr.

You are right it may not be the best in a integral silencer, I use mine in a Sako Finnfire w/ silencer and it is very accurate in this combo, my mate use's it in his CZ 513 with the barrel cut to around 15 inches and a Parker/Hale MM1 can on his gun.

If however you really want to shot this round and donot want to spend a small fortune on a custom barrel.
The best option in NZ is buy an old Russian TOZ rifle , a friend has one and it is very quite , it shoot's about 1 inche at 50yds,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.