Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

aftermarket stocks

1278 10
Does anyone know if they make aftermarket stocks for the model 93 rimfire. Is there anything in varmint style with the heavier fore end. Thanks
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Longbeard sorry it took so long to get back to this post but these darn Canadian Ground Hog are keeping me busy every weekend. The old woman isn't very happy with me but I told her the hay would soon be to long and I would spend some time with her. I didn't tell her that they cut the stuff so I have some grace period..........You are a lot more ambitious than I am when it comes to stocks for my HMR I will have to wait for an aftermarket stock but will shoot the heck out of this one till they are avaliable........Thanks Again.....SHEEM......If you find someone who is producing them please get a hold of me ..........

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Varmit Stock for a Mark II

My son and I just finished inletting a Boyds Warner Varniter stock for my Mark II. His stock should be in this week and this second stock will go about twice as fast. Actually we built a jig, to hold the stock for drilling in the drill press and the router work for the action and barrel channel, in a day. This was the secret to being able to make precision cuts and keep the chisel and file work to a minimum. It also was great for holding the stock for finish sanding.

Inletting the first stock took most of a day as we decided what to do and how to do it and then measured several times and did an accurate layout before making any cuts. This all paid off in a good looking,well fitting stock. It also provided a lot of fun time for my son and I as we really enjoy working on projects together.

So if you have a Savage Mark II, of what ever flavor,LV, FXP..etc , and want to up upgrade the stock there are options. They will require some work but I feel it will be worth it.

Goodluck

sawdust

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought another 93/17 with the wood stock ( told the woman it was for the boy and that we needed one each) anyway I bought it at Dunhams on sale for $169.99 last week. I don't know if it is still on but I took it home and carved up the stock. It looks real good now. Dark stain and sanded out the cheek piece removed the checkering and thinned the pistol grip also sanded in a safari horn on the end of the pistol grip. I'm Happy.....Sheem..........

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 93R17-FV, (synthetic stock, heavy blue barrel). The stock is really poor and you can't bed the action. I contacted "Savage" on Monday and they will sell a laminated stock that fits the heavy barrel model for $150.00 and that includes two new screws that are necessary. They only have them in gray now, the brown ones are on backorder. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
First you can check to see if the barrel is really "free-floating" by sliding a piece of paper between the stock forend and the barrel. Mine wasn't , it was making contact along the left side. I sanded it out with some 150 grit wrapped around a 1" dowel. The bad part is the action screws distort the stock when you snug them down. How you tighten them has a lot to do with how well your gun will group. By the way, mine has two action screws. One just ahead of the clip and one just behind it. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
when i got my 93, the barrel didn't free-float. but the gun shot great. sent it back to savage and they replaced the stock with one that allows the barrel to float. shoots so crappy now that i set it aside til i have time to figure out what's up. i'm thinking of waiting for aftermarket stocks to catch up. :cool:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Second Hold Down Screw

You already have the number for Savage so I would suggest that you call and order the post, washers and screw which will give you the second action hold down. All you have to do is replace a trigger attachment screw with the post and washers and drill a hole in the stock. This will cost you about $12, delivered, and take less than 10 min. to install. This, along with freefloating the barrel, may or may not improve accuracy but it will make things more stable and less prone to variation. If you choose to get the Savage laminated stock you will still need the post and washers to properly secure the action and only be out $2 for the extra screw.

Good luck

sawdust

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.