Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to hijack jimjimwolf's thread, but here is my 93R17 with an aftermarket thumbhole stock. I got the stock at a gunshow fairly cheap because one of the action screw holes were off center. It took a little work and some "alternative" engineering to get it to work, but it came out ok. This was a "copy" of the Richards stock for the 10/22 and like the one Randy Haarsma used in his article except this one did not have the cut on the bottom for the mag. I didn't like the high comb keeping me from removing the bolt for cleaning, so I cut down the height a little so the bolt would clear.
Anyway, here it is...

The oversize holes I had to bore in the stock caused me a little problem. I made some brass "pillars" for the action posts to set on and then modified a couple of pieces of 44 mag brass for plugs to fill in the holes because the odd thread Savage screws were so short. The primer holes are drilled out so you can unscrew the action screws without removing them and the plugs keep the screws from falling out. It actually worked out well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice, really nice waynzwld . I see that you used the original trigger guard. I was looking at Richards for a stock and they have a note regarding the use of a metal trigger guard obtained from Savage. I have looked high and low (Google) with no luck.
Gald to see you were able to use the original. I also like what jimjimwolf was able to do for a guard. Nice rifles gents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a plastic factory trigger guard and made some modifications to it. I trimmed the long end to the same length as the short end and countersunk a recess for the screw. I couldn't find a metal guard either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.