Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Speedmaster BDL. Bought it recently at a Pawn Shop, dirty thing but cleaned up well externally. Bolt and chamber area were black with dirt, ran a patch down the bore and fired a few rounds. Worked great. Wanted to know if it was ok before I took it down. Pulled the trigger assy, full of granular powder residue and dirt, had a tough time pulling the barrel from the receiver, as it was packed with 31 years of junk. Cleaned everything with mineral spirits and lighty oiled. Went back together smoothly. Bottom of pan I used to clean it in was covered with the junk that was slowing wearing down the mating parts of this jewel. One thing, when you slide the action bar off the bolt, retain the bolt or it will snap back into the forearm. It's now good for another 31 years.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Meant to say " retain the bolt handle". I also used compressed air to blow all parts dry after cleaning and again after oiling. The less free oil in the action, the better. Did I mention this Remington is simply georgeous!, narry a rub or a ding, my new best friend. I also collect and enjoy Mossbergs, but this Remington is far ahead of comparable Mossbergs in materials, design and quality. No knock on Mossbergs, mine are simply indestructable and nearly as acurate. Could be prejudiced, been shooting Remingtons for over 50 years.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Congratulations on your find. I have a good time looking around in pawn shops for older guns too. I just recently missed a deal on a Ruger 77-22 for two bills and still kick myself for not putting it on layaway when I had the chance. Sounds like your new friend was a jewel in the rough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Interesting.

I've seen the granular powder. It came from remington golden bullet in mine. When I was farting around trying to make my 597's work (before I sold them all) I coated the GB's with some lubricant, which of course seeped inside the cases and caused a failure to burn. It might just be the GB's themselves but I have not recleaned the innards since that last go round to prove it.

Thomas

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Thomas, I find the .22 round in general to be quite dirty when compared to higher calibers, and never could understand the reluctance of some not to clean their .22's. I usually use CCI's in various velocities, but just bought a 550 round box of Remington's "golden bullets" hollow points and they do seem to leave more residue in the barrel and action than others I have tried, but I have never had a fail to fire. I haven't shot this 552 since I cleaned it, too many Mossbergs, but am anxious to take it out again soon. Best regards - Bob

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just bought a NIB 552 myself

Last night as a matter of fact.The gun was made in February of 1978 and sat in its box in someones collection until I bought it. It has the original manual packed in there also. I ran a box of Thunderbolts thru it after I got home,plinking at cans.It fired them all including 2 squibs without a hitch. Next I'll try some CCI short HPs and see how they shoot. I have an old Lyman All American 2.5X scope with a floating dot reticle I might put on it. Very well built and finished gun (its a BDL).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.