Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Advice on simple trigger improvement

745 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  bassdocktor
New here and I've been searching... There are many threads I've read through and it looks like folks use a mix of aftermarket parts to get an improved trigger on the 22/45. They range from installing a VQ sear only, combination of aftermarket sear and trigger, sear/hammer/trigger, etc.

Is there such thing as a simple (inexpensive) upgrade to the stock 22/45 trigger? Perhaps just buying the VQ sear? Or is it a 'must have' to get a sear and some other part?

For example - the VQ hammer on my 10/22 doesn't get you a perfect trigger - but it is a HUGE improvement over stock and didn't cost much.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,234 Posts
The sear is the single most "immediately noticed" improvement. If you don't particularly want to remove the magazine safety option then forget the bushing mod. The only reason to swap out the trigger would be for the ability to adjust the pre travel or post travel action of the trigger. Lastly the hammer can be swapped but as some posts demonstrate, the lighter hammer VQ offers is really up for debate.

· Registered
315 Posts
ive read up quite a bit, and read the hammer doesnt really make much difference, the cheapest one you can do is a sam lam bushing it supposedly cleans up the trigger, i really didnt notice much difference, I have read the sear is one of the best mods to do for the trigger. Its on order for me.

· Registered
8,831 Posts
As Schnauzer posted, the VQ sear will make the most noticeable difference in your trigger pull - Many install the sear and stop there for that reason. I do other additions for the following reasons and please note, they are strictly MY reasons. YMMV.

VQ target trigger. Being able to minimize the pre and post travel is necessary for a great trigger. Be advised, you will never be able to eliminate the pre and post travel from the Mark series pistolas because if you do the trigger will malf.

Clark Custom Mark II pin and bushing kit. Helps to reduce the creep in the trigger pull as it removes some of the slop in the trigger group. There are other options and Sam's bushing is very popular as it is inexpensive and quality made. Pleasae note, Sam's bushing is designed to work with the Mk III hammer (VQ or OEM) as an eliminator for the Mag safety. Either way, the replacement bushing eliminates the mag safety which allows your mags to drop free when you press the mag release AND it simplifies field stripping and re-assembly of your pistola - No more mag in, mag out nonsense.

Mark II OEM hammer or VQ target hammer. Be advised, if you choose the Mk II hammer (VQ or OEM) you will need a Mk II Clark or VQ hammer bushing. Again, Sam's bushing is designed to work with the Mk III hammer (VQ or OEM) as an eliminator for the Mag safety.

Good luck on your choices and enjoy your pistola.

· Registered
61 Posts
The sear made a very noticeable difference in mine. I finally got to install my VQ trigger yesterday and worked on adjusting the pre/post travel screws tonight with some dry firing and that has made what seems like it will be a huge difference. I can't wait to try out the new trigger tomorrow at the range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.