Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Adjustable trigger return spring??

324 5
I have read in here where people talk about making an adjustable trigger return spring. I was looking at my trigger assemble and I don't see a way to do this. The original spring hole is inaccessible when the assembly is together and the trigger guard is not thick enough anywhere else to accommodate a set screw and another spring. Could someone who has done it steer me in the right direction or better yet post some pictures of the mod?

Steve
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
An idea I had was to drill the trigger plunger hole deeper, drill and tap it out the back for a screw, and install a longer, softer spring. (Instead, this is where I put my trigger stop.)
However, the trigger spring still has to be stiff enough to reset the disconnector, which has to be stiff enough to over come the inertia of the sear when the hammer resets. Make the sear lighter then use lighter disconnector and trigger springs.

Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have stated this in the beginning. I cut off 4 coils from my trigger return spring. The result was about a 1/2 pound drop in trigger pull (estimated) Only problem is, after about 200 rounds the action gets dirty and the spring won't reset the disconnector. I would like to find a way to make an adjustment here. If I just drilled out the original hole and put a softer spring and set screw, I would have to remove the stock to make an adjustment. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better way to do this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your trigger spring only had 9 turns to begin with, it is now twice as stiff but you're not compressing it as much,(steeper lb/in graph). It gets stiffer faster when compressed and softer faster when relieved, too soft to reset the disconnector. Get another spring and drill the hole deeper a little at a time, the force will be more consistent over the travel. Or, see Tennesee Shooter's torsion spring solution, maybe with a screw under the tail (I'd have to look again). Or get a Kidd...

Clean out your action and use a dry teflon lube to avoid collecting gunk.

Good luck and keep trying.

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.