Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Action done what else?

428 Views 16 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  xenophobe
Hi guys well I think the action is done so far on my proyect, now I was thinking on doing the upgrades on the optics but the original bases suck. I had seen alot of posts of people talking about weaver bases and rings, I really dont know what manufactures or what models to buy.

Can you guys tell me what rings and bases are worth spending on? :Blasting_

p.s. I dont know if this is the correct forum to post this guess it is.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,353 Posts
Other users will post with their favorites too, so I'll just tell you what I did, and what I've seen a lot of other shooters doing.

I bought the Power Custom scope base - it's a standard Weaver base, so pretty much any ring or weaver-style accessory will fit it (that's not designed for an airgun base or something small). You can get these that mount to the receiver or mount to the barrel. Mounting to the barrel is supposedly more accurate, but it reqiures a barrel to be drilled and tapped for this. For the money, PC or Volquartsen make good mounts.
Check out www.hawktecharms.com

I also the got the Burris Signature Zee rings, which are unanimously popular among the users of this forum. I have a 44mm scope, and with the PC base and Medium height rings, I have just enough clearance between the scope and barrel. The Signature Zee rings have a plastic bushing inside the metal ring surface - this is to allow better scope alignment in possibly crooked rings, and it also keeps from marring the scope's finish. Other favorites I hear of are Millett and B-Square rings.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there actually any online sponsor that sell the Burris Signature Zee rings?

I really dont want to spend doble money on buying rings rings rings and bases bases bases. I want to do one time the shopping even if its more expensive.

I had use all of the vq accesories on my rifle so unless you tell me that pc bases are better than vq ill go for vq

· Registered
1,353 Posts
VQ's may be finished more nicely - I'm not exactly "pleased" with the look of the PC base. I checked HawkTech, and he only shows a barrel-mount base for the VQ, but it does look a whole bunch nicer than the PC. He offers free shipping too.

Check in the sponsors list for the rings - I like SWFA because they're the cheapest, AND they beat everyone's prices if you can find it cheaper somewhere else. You may be able to find some good rings at a local sporting goods store - I'm not sure what Monterrey is like though.

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could find the rings in my city at local hunting stores, but why make a mistake a buy some rings that might not be the ones I should use? I will get the VQ bases and try looking for the rings, my actual scope is 3-9x40m bushnel 1". I know it sucks but I will upgrade the optics also but first I need to find the bases and rings.

· Registered
265 Posts
bkl

I have a bkl mount on my marlin 17 that comes with rings as well...I absolutely love the mount...I also have a power custom mount on my 10/22 and per recommendations burris zee rings. For my next rifle build a converted mach 2 I am planning on using a bkl...in my opinion they make an great setup. Just my 2 cents.

· Registered
7 Posts
MinusB said:
You can get these that mount to the receiver or mount to the barrel. Mounting to the barrel is supposedly more accurate, but it reqiures a barrel to be drilled and tapped for this. For the money, PC or Volquartsen make good mounts.
Does anyone know if the PC weaver mounts that mate the reciver to the barrel use the same hole location as the VQ part does? I'm courious because GM offers barrels that are pre drilled/tapped for the Volquartsen scope mount. After looking at pictures online I'm thinking the answer is NO DICE, but thought I'd ask. **** just another reason I need a bridgeport :p

· Registered
6,463 Posts
NO they are different. When you get a barrel predrilled for the vq base, it is predrilled for the cantilever mount. NOT the PC base that attaches to both the barrel and receiver.

Unless you will be swaping barrels around I'd go with the standard PC base and Burris signature Z rings.

If you want a multi calibur rifle .22lr/.17mh2 then I would use the VQ cantilever base on each barrel, with it's own rings and scope. That way you can switch barrels/caliburs without loosing zero. BUT you will need two barrels, two bases, two scopes and two sets of rings, but only one receiver, stock, bolt, trigger assembly. One rifle does it all.

good luck,
swampf0x

· Registered
623 Posts
I really love the Weaver Pro-View mount/ring. Cheap, lightweight, and they have a really nice and clean look to the installation...

The only thing is, they're useless with a 40mm objective and the stock barrel unless you remove the rear sight. Also, if you have a >40mm objective, they don't work. Very low objective to barrel clearance, which is a good thing.

· Registered
2,923 Posts
I would say get the best you can afford--you won't be disappointed.
But if cost is a factor get the Weaver T-09 base and a set of Leupold Rifleman rings. They are lightweight and solid, and rings and base will set you back a little over $20. ;)

· Registered
623 Posts
Gunaccessories has them listed for $15.95. They're a one piece ring/mount system. I like them because I don't ever plan on removing the scope, so a weaver rail is just extra bulk to me. Here's another picture of what they look like:

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Weaver/Pro-ViewMounts.asp

They fit the factory tapped holes.

Oh, they've VERY solid too. Every installation I've done with them, the scope (provided it's factory centered) needs very little adjustment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.