Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Accutrigger problem

576 6
My dad has a .223 savage (FVSS) with accutrigger. It shoots well, except that about 5-10 percent of the time, when he pulls the trigger nothing happens. The firing pin doesn't impact the primer at all. He blames himself, saying that he isn't pulling the trigger back straight enough. However this problem has happened to me as well with his gun.

Now I am trying to convince him to buy a savage in rimfire with accutrigger and he doesn't want to go for it because of the problems with his .223.

Is this a normal condition with savage's accutrigger? Should he send it back for repair?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Start watching the trigger while shooting. Make sure it is resetting when the bolt is worked, The little blade should come out in front of the trigger when its set, if the blade stays back in the trigger its not set. This usally happens if its set to light or doesnt have enough sear engaugement.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Accutrigger problems

Triple Dittoes there w/ShootNut......
>>>>>>>>>>AGREED>>>>>>>>>>>

I have found that most of the problems with the Savage Accu-trigger is the nut behind the buttstock.

It seems that this nut generally loosens off the Accu-trigger spring to get a very light trigger pull, but backs off the spring too much and if the bolt is worked rapidly, the firing pin bounces or pushes the trigger sear downwards, and rides over it, thus not cocking the firing pin.

The first solution to the problem is to turn the spring inwards a bit, making for more positive engagement of the firing pin. You do not need much, try about one turn at a time.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
In my experience with the rimfire accutrigger is that if you go too light then the accutrigger blade locks up. I've never had the striker fail to stay cocked without the accutrigger locking too, and I've had the trigger pull down to 4 oz.

What is happening with this centerfire accutrigger appear to be the striker not staying cocked and the accutrigger not locking up. My first guess would be that the sear spring is too weak, or there is something wrong with the sear engagement. Sounds like it should be returned to Savage if it has not been modified.

Ron

·
Registered
575 Posts
In my experience with the rimfire accutrigger is that if you go too light then the accutrigger blade locks up. I've never had the striker fail to stay cocked without the accutrigger locking too, and I've had the trigger pull down to 4 oz.

What is happening with this centerfire accutrigger appear to be the striker not staying cocked and the accutrigger not locking up. My first guess would be that the sear spring is too weak, or there is something wrong with the sear engagement. Sounds like it should be returned to Savage if it has not been modified.
Ron
That's what I would do because Savage accutrigger is great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.