Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

AccuScope Sighting Chart

271 4
AccuScope Sighting Chart & Scope Adj. Questions

I just received my two scopes and sighting chart from Optics World today and upon reading the instructions on the AccuScope chart, i began to wonder why my chart only shows a minimum distance off center of 2 1/4".

The example on the chart gives a 1" elevation distance and a 2" windage distance neither of which can even be calculated on their chart.

Am I missing something? Or is this chart just for ballpark adjustments if you are missing targets.. lol

I take it if you are within 2.25" on target centerline at 25 yards you are pretty close and can click your way closer on the scope dials??
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
I guess they figure when you're that close and you adjust the specified number of clicks for your current range, then your next shot should be close enough for fine tuning.

I just do it in my head. If it's a 1/4 MOA scope, each click will be approx. 1/4" at 100 yards, at 200 yards 1/2", at 400 yards 1" and the opposite for less than 100 yards, at 50 yards 1/8", at 25 yards 1/16", per click. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sounds logical..

The next question is probably a stupid one but here goes anyways. Let's say i bore sight at 25 yards then dial the scope in for 100 yards. I zero out the elevation/windage dials, and at this range i'm shooting perfect.

Now i have a target which is 50 yards away. This is a hunting situation so i cant test fire a 3 or 5 shot group and adjust according. What is the proper way to adjust your scope for the shorter distance? All the instructions i have read tell you how to adjust once you have test fired a group of live ammo. 1 click = 1/4" at this yardage etc.

How do you know how much up or below the crosshairs you need to be for various distances? Or how do you adjust the elevation so you can aim dead center of the scope crosshairs?

·
X-Mod
18,520 Posts
There are variables to consider and it would be best that you know your ammo ahead of time to make a sound adjustment. Wind can also be a factor, but I'm no expert on that subject.

If it was a .17 HMR, I'd think it would be pretty close at 50 yards if sighted in at 100 yards since it's a relatively flat shooter out to 100 yards or so, but with a 22lr as velocitys vary, sub, standard, high, hyper, and even some brands will vary in their versions of each, you'll want to find an ammo that your rifle likes, stick to it, and learn it's ballistics. Some standard 22r ammo can have as much as a 9"+ drop from 50 to 100 yards.

I keep most of my 22's sighted in at 50 yards, the ammo that my rifles like has close to a 9" drop at 100 yards. My scope's turrets are resettable to zero, so all I have to do is turn it 9 MOA or 36 clicks up and I'm ready to go at 100 yards, turn it back to zero and I'm back to 50 yards, this is where a scope with resettable turrets shines. When making a lot of range changes it also pays to have a scope with repeatable adjustments.

Next time you go shooting take a small notepad with you. Shoot some groups with the ammo that you'll mainly be using at different ranges, say 50, 75, & 100 yards, and note the bullet drop and how many clicks it took to get you zerod at each range. Once you get familiar with this info, you'll be ready when the time comes. :)

Also, you can stick this info on your scope with a small piece of paper under some clear scotch tape or packing tape. I've noticed that a lot of silhoutte shooters do this. :bthumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.