Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Accurizing the 581 !

912 6
I have an older left hand 581 that I purchased several years ago. What I would like to know is are there any aftermarket products for this gun?
It shoots well, but I think it could do better. Can the trigger from the 541 be used on this rifle and where can I get one? Does anybody have an opinion on target stocks, which one might be better? Boyd's? Richards?
I guess what I am considering is using the action from this gun for a custom project from the ground up!

Any info you can help with is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had my 581 for about 35 years and the only acurizing I have done to it is to glass bed the action and barrel. I have often thought abot a 541 trigger, a heavy barrel, or a new stock but it just shoots so darn great now that I am afraid to mess with it!

GHP

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bought a 581 for my wif3e about 15 years ago. I glass bedded the barrel and action and it shoots almost as well as my 541S. It also helps to take the bolt apart and "slick it up" a bit with some emery cloth, inside and out. Gun Parts Corp used to have some 541 barrels for sale. I don't know if they have any now or not, but it would be a simple swap if you could find one. Timney used to make triggers for them, I believe. You are right, the 581 really lends itself to making a fine custom bolt .22.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Custom 581

I've had the same 581 since about 1974. A few years ago, I bought a used 541T barrel for it for $50 and a Fajen thumbhole stock blank that was made for an Anschutz 64, I think. The trigger/sear spring was pinned and a lighter return spring installed. Pull is a sweet 15 oz.

I put it all together and it shot very well. Well enough to win 7 International Benchrest Plinker category matches. I retired the rifle from that competition, unbeaten. It still holds the USBR postal record of 226-2X (restricted to 9x scope).

Just recently, I decided to put a lighter-weight barrel on it and Butch Hongisto offered to make one up for me. He had a benchrest take-off Lilja (stainless) barrel, turned it down, shortened it, and made it to fit the 581. He said that if it doesn't shoot well enough, he'll do another for free.

The barrel is .920" at the receiver and tapers to .600" at the muzzle. It's 21" long. He's sending it to me tomorrow and I'll install it myself, using high-strength epoxy. The pins will also be inserted, but will be almost non-functional.

The rifle will be used mainly for offhand plinking, informal target shooting, and maybe some informal benchrest.

Butch has a few more barrels if anyone is looking for one. I can recommend his work highly. He rebarrelled my Win 52C and it is shooting groups under .10" at 50 yards under the right conditions. The best so far is .07" and four of the five were in the same hole!

BTW, check my accurizing tips for the 581/541 in the Tips and Tricks Forum.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.