Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Good question. I think my model 41's are easier to shoot good scores with, but my 69 vintage MKI 5.5 inch target will still shoot into 1 inch groups at 50yds rested with a scope. I figure the 41's would do that well or better but haven't scoped them yet.
My answer would be they may be as accurate but you would probably shoot better scores with the 41 out of the box. You would probably want a trigger job and possible custom grips for the Ruger Target to get the usable accuracy you want. cost wise the Rugers are the best buy for a starter target pistol probably.
I hunt with my Ruger but am switching over to a sporter barrel model 41 as soon as I can get it refinished. Am going to spray and bake on a epoxy od green finish on my oldest 41 that needs refinishing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
My 41 was more accurate for me than a couple of Rugers I had. It was that the 41 was more shootable - it fit my hand better and had a lighter, crisper trigger.

Nowadays you can get a good trigger and aftermarket barrels for the Ruger and I suspect with the ammo they like they'll be as accurate as anything made.

·
Premium Member
30,687 Posts
I have compared the S&W 41 to a Ruger MKII slab side. The S&W is more accurate and has a better trigger from the factory. With some work, I think that you could make the Ruger shoot as good as the 41. My opinion is that I shouldn't have to, so I don't. I take the 41 to the range most of the time.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
"It was that the 41 was more shootable - it fit my hand better and had a lighter, crisper trigger."

A good friend of mine who is a high master bullseye shooter basically told me the same thing. He said the 41 was not necessarily more accurate but for most shooters the 41 is a more ergonomic pistol. Out of the box there is no question the 41 has a superior trigger.

He made the progression from MKII to Smith 41 and then to Pardini which he used for a Camp Perry 22 pistol Championship several years ago.

Between my MKII with a Clark trigger job and my Smith 41 I shoot the Ruger more these days. For me the 5.5" Ruger balances in the hand slightly better and with the Clark work actually has a better trigger. Both pistols now wear Nill grips.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It's also much more likely that you will get an exceptionaly accurate pistol with the 41. Some Rugers really shoot most are average but it's rare for a 41 not to be excellent.
Ross

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Many pistols are capable of perfect scores. It's the operators that screw it up. I have frequently done ammo tests with new pistols that produced groups small enough make perfect scores possible.

I think it is mainly an issue of (1) How well can the individual shoot shoot? and (2) Does the gun really fit the shooter?

While we all want the best accuracy possible, having a pistol that will shoot a .561" group versus a .592" group is not of much value for a shooter that can only hold to shoot 2.50" groups. Heck, if there was a gun that could place each shot in exactly the same hole, it would only turn the above shooter into one who could shoot 2" groups.....................chim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.