Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day! I was hoping any of you guys could me tune my 22lr. I have a Fieldman Naughton which is Australian made and very similar to a Ruger bolt-action. The trigger has adjustment for creep and pressure which i have altered both but I would still like to wringe a little more out of it if i could. The gun itself has a 161/2 inch barrel made of aluminium with a steel sleeve. the barrel is of the same size as most varmint barrels if not a little thicker so i can only think of bedding?,or something similar. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
793 Posts
please define "problems". what group size at what range? what ammo types/brands have you experimented with? glass or iron sights?
i'm no expert but finding an ammo type and brand your rifle prefers can be half the battle. i think this is due to subtle variations in case rim thickness among various brands/types/lots which results in better or poorer fit to a particular rifles' chamber/headspace dimensions. i do know that there is something called a rimfire case gauge that allows a shooter to sort ammo by rim thickness.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
G'day Aussie. I'm not familiar with that particular rifle, but I discovered yesterday that my CZ is sensitive to where the forend is sitting on the bags. Moved the rest a couple of inches too far back and accuracy went away :(
Just something you might want to consider.
Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheatermk3

G'day Cheatermk3!the ammo i have been using is winchester powrepoints after trying pmc,remington,high impact(stirling),and cci. I have a 6x40 bushnell on it and do my shooting at 50metres. the best group i have been able to acheive so far has been 5 shots in an inch group using a bench rest and rear bag,i also had a few different people try and they did no better.I have been told that they were renound for their accuracy when produced and going by the interest from the older blokes at the rifle range they were a popular gun in their heyday.the barrel has no obvious signs of wear and theres nomarks on the exterior to indicate any unforseen damage.Any help you or anyone else could offer would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think you need to shoot better ammo and 6X glass is not going to help much at 50 yards. Try to find some match ammo, experiment with forearm placement on the front bag and get better glass (more power). 1 inch with a 6x glass and inexp ammo seems very good to me at 50 yards.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Gudday back to ya aussievarminter!
ditto xxrings post! that's good shooting with the setup you've described. also the ammo.
i've never done any serious "work" trying to wring topnotch accuracy from any rimfire rifle, so this draws mostly from my experience with centerfire rifles. i have gotten to "the promised land" of sub-moa at 100 yds. i've never competed in any benchrest matches, but i have competed in shooting events (ipsc pistol and ipsc hi-power rifle--competed in the steel challenge once). also have attended some benchrest matches to see what the real group shooters were doing. for me, .75 inches/100yds consistently w/the occasional group in the sub-1/2 moa range is where i stop rifle/load development and go varmint hunting. i haven't done ANY target work/load development in 7 yrs. now i'm working with a cz 452 17hmr, and my rem M700PSS .223 needs a new barrel so i'm back at it hammer and tongs.
the point is, how far are you willing to go towards the magic one-caliber-diameter five-shot group? the closer you get, the more money you have to spend for a smaller incremental improvement.
whew! i do run on!
technique- your rest and setup needs to be rock-solid; if you cannot set-up and aim the piece, and have there be NO movement of the crosshairs on the target, you need to work on your hold, set-up, or whatever.
optics-the better ya can see it the better ya can hit it. the finer you can define the aiming point the easier it will be to shoot small groups. i'm working with the target i got on www.mytargets.com, the one that has 25 bulls on it that measure .520" each. with a 3-9x bushnell set on 9x, at 50 yds the heavy-duplex crosshairs all but cover them up completely. the 6-18x ao simmons on my cz set at 14x lets me see the crosshairs weave around on the bullseye; i know when the shot breaks whether it was me or the gun/ammo when i don't go thru the same hole. you have to compromise because what works the best at the bench is often not what you want in the field--skinny crosshairs are great when you're shooting at orange dots on white paper but they can be hard to see under field conditions. when i'm done fine-tuning the cz i plan to fit it out w/a much more compact scope--i bought the gun for field shooting varmints and want something light and handy.
ignition--anything you can do to achieve a consistent blow to the rim of the case to ignite the priming the same way every time will help. clean bolt insides, firing pin hole/spring;etc.
bedding- you want firm even contact between metal and wood in the reciever area--floating the barrel can help but bedding may not be an issue. it depends how your groups look. are the shots dispersed in a circular pattern, or do they string vertically or horizontally? if the pattern is circular you probably don't need a bedding job. if the point of impact varies with the temp and/or humidity, you may need to float the barrel. if you can slip a dollar bill under the barrel between the metal and the wood at the tip of the forend, and slide it down the barrel most of the way to the reciever, then your barrel is already "floating". take the barrelled action off the wood and examine the area on the inside of the stock where the wood and metal come together; any isolated spots where the wood is obviously compressed more than the surrounding areas may indicate a bedding problem. the best way to tell is to analyze your groups.
gotta go now; if this wasn't too windy for ya' come back and i'll be happy to spout some more!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks cheatermk3

G'day! Thanks for the advice cheater! haven't had a chance to try any better glass as yet(kids come first nowadays) but as soon as i get a chance I'll try,The reason i use powerpoints is that i use them in the field for my hunting so i try and stay with the one ammo, saves on adjustments everytime i change to another.I will try some other brands when i get a new scope but for now its 6x40 and powerpoints! thanks again its good to get advice from others!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.