Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my 10/22 after getting really frustrated with its poor accuracy. My 10” Mark 2 Target easily outshot it. So my question is, what’s a reasonable level of accuracy for a 10/22 Sporter? And what’s the return on investment accuracy wise as you move up the 10/22 price chain within Ruger? Do custom parts actually help? Bench rest at 50 yards it struggled to stay inside of 2 1/2 inches. I don’t know what normal looks like.

· Registered
356 Posts
Stock Sporter with Kidd trigger drop in kit($95). Aluminum tape bedded the receiver and a strip of bike tire tube under the barrel, 1” from the end of forearm. Torqued the takedown screw to 12lbs which worked best in my particular rifle. My groups shrunk nearly in half just from the bedding, tire tube and torquing.

Scope power at 50yds can make a big difference.

Yes, after market parts can make a difference. Aftermarket trigger and barrel will make the biggest differences.
I don’t consider a stock 10/22 to be a 50yd precision rifle. Have a CZ 457 for that.

25yds, ten shot group, scope at 9x. CCI STD VEL.
Last shot went low. Should have stopped at 9.😁
Precision sports Circle Recreation Natural material Art

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent shot factory 10/22 in very long time but trigger job and kidd ultra light weight barrel and hogue stock mine shoots great at 50 yds and not breaking the bank shhots cci standard velocity very well. View attachment 360189
That looks very nice and is about where I want to be. Actually, it looks about the best that my CZ American could do.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock Sporter with Kidd trigger drop in kit($95). Aluminum tape bedded the receiver and a strip of bike tire tube under the barrel, 1” from the end of forearm. Torqued the takedown screw to 12lbs which worked best in my particular rifle. My groups shrunk nearly in half just from the bedding, tire tube and torquing.

Scope power at 50yds can make a big difference.

Yes, after market parts can make a difference. Aftermarket trigger and barrel will make the biggest differences.
I don’t consider a stock 10/22 to be a 50yd precision rifle. Have a CZ 457 for that.

25yds, ten shot group, scope at 9x. CCI STD VEL.
Last shot went low. Should have stopped at 9.😁
View attachment 360244
That’s perfect! Mine was very sensitive to temperature and humidity, did your work improve consistency? Yes the trigger is the worst I’ve ever experienced.

· Premium Member
7,111 Posts
I'd say the accuracy your experiencing right now from a bone stock 10/22 is pretty typical, maybe a little worse than average. With the right components and shooter the platform itself has the potential to be a 1/2 moa rifle. Of course that would require parts not made by Ruger. But even a factory 10/22 can be re-worked to be an moa rifle (check out CPC).

· Registered
151 Posts
A factory rifle can shoot really good if the receiver and bolt face are square with each other and the breech face of the barrel matches the bolt face for minimum headspace. And your lucky enough to have a barrel without any defect. Learn to overcome the factory trigger and have fun. Or buy a custom rifle and avoid the various tolerance issues that a factory plinker might have.

· Registered
20 Posts
I have 4 10/22's, one with glass, all shoot good. My oldest and go to rifle has hit everything I ever aimed at, and ate every ammo I've ever used, but I don't expect it to match my Mossberg M44 US or Winchester T75 in accuracy. They're not built for that. PAX

· Registered
6,568 Posts
We've had similar threads, the question is not a new one; maybe a good snowy day search & read?
Iirc the past has shown many 10/22 carbines will do around 3/4"-1" at 50yd from a decent solid bench and rest. Call it quarter size groups with decent, but not match, ammo, good conditions and technique. Yeah, some folks win the 10/22 lotto with one that will do nickel or Wow, even dime, but generally not out of the box and not the 'norm'. I sure did not get one like that.....
Ime, the 10/22 is a fun 'sporting rifle' and can quickly become a hole to throw money in; and the more money in the less improvement is made with each expenditure (rule of diminishing returns). It is a great platform for a futzer.
Btw, I found to my satisfaction that I cannot shoot any tighter than the parallax of my scope (unless the rare wallet group by pure luck).

· Registered
356 Posts
That’s perfect! Mine was very sensitive to temperature and humidity, did your work improve consistency? Yes the trigger is the worst I’ve ever experienced.
Yes, it definitely improved consistency. It will shoot better with better ammo also. Mine likes RWS Rifle Match.
Money spent on the trigger is almost a must on a 10/22, IMO.

· Premium Member
12,088 Posts
The rifle I shoot best with is a Complete Kidd,in a VT stock with a rear tang , and a 3/3 two stage trigger. Easily a 1/4 moa gun. ( thanks hump) I have some bolt guns that might be bit more accurate, but , not as easy to shoot. Thats gonna cost you $1400+ plus glass.
For 1/2 that, you can build a 1022 that will shoot 1/2 moa . Or buy a LVT and send it to CPC, that will also be great.
But my first 1022, a black plastic Carbine from buds, shot great out of the box 1 moa no tweeks. .I was shooting zip tyes off the target stand at 50 yards witha 3-9 tasco. Ammo is CRITICAL , buy the best you can find , it shoots better

If you cant get a 1022 to shoot well, go buy a Marlin, 👍

· Registered
5,157 Posts
So my question is, what’s a reasonable level of accuracy for a 10/22 Sporter?
Just to answer your original question (for a change), in my admittedly limited experience with stock 10/22s, I'd say you could expect groups of 1.5-1.75" at 50 yards with mill-run, plinking/hunting grade .22LR ammo. Now you can play around with various factors (barrel band or not, floating or pressure-bedding the barrel, testing all kinds of ammo, and so forth) and if your factory barrel has a good chamber, you might be able to get down around an even inch--maybe just over, maybe just under. If you have a loose chamber, you can diddle with stuff from now till doomsday and you're not gonna get much better. That's just the way it is.

And a better trigger won't have much if any affect on accuracy from a solid benchrest, though it WILL of course make the gun easier to shoot--i.e., "practical accuracy"--from any field position.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to answer your original question (for a change), in my admittedly limited experience with stock 10/22s, I'd say you could expect groups of 1.5-1.75" at 50 yards with mill-run, plinking/hunting grade .22LR ammo. Now you can play around with various factors (barrel band or not, floating or pressure-bedding the barrel, testing all kinds of ammo, and so forth) and if your factory barrel has a good chamber, you might be able to get down around an even inch--maybe just over, maybe just under. If you have a loose chamber, you can diddle with stuff from now till doomsday and you're not gonna get much better. That's just the way it is.

And a better trigger won't have much if any affect on accuracy from a solid benchrest, though it WILL of course make the gun easier to shoot--i.e., "practical accuracy"--from any field position.
Thank you. This will help me from wasting my time in the future. Just seemed odd that this particular 10/22 was exceptionally poor accuracy wise and the Mark 2 Target was an exceptionally accurate sample, all from the same company. Be nice to know all this in advance.

· Registered
474 Posts
For what it’s worth. I have a total stock 10/22 “Deluxe” I bought brand spanking new about three years ago. Have done nothing to it except send it back to Ruger. Ruger sent it back and said they’ve changed things on it. I couldn’t tell. I took it out to shoot a squirrel last week. Easy shot. No go. It sits in my closet, for what reason, I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts