Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know where I can get a .22 BAR in 98-99% condition for about $575...is this a good buy on one of these guns? How are the sights/trigger pull, and how accurate is the gun? For example, with .22 ammo it likes, what would be reasonable to expect for a 5 shot group at 25 yards with open sights off the bench? Would sure appreciate hearing from those who own one and know....thanks

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Blue Book 28th Edition:

NIB $550
98% $500
95% $425
90% $350

I sold mine for $495 a couple of years ago. It had production rifle accuracy. Acceptable for hunting and plinking, not for paper punching.

Early models had feeding problems. Later models had the straight grip.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 1978 and like it very much.

Check the archives for feed problems and the repairs of them (actually very simple given the specs). I like the fit and feel of mine better than any of my other 22's. Has a good trigger and is the most accurate of my autoloaders. If I lived in a warm sunny place and didn't subject rifles to the blowing sand and rain that are the norm on the rivers here, it would be the 22 of choice in the woods.

As for price, I got mine for about $300 and it is in very nice shape. My story is in the archives but basically the rifle just wouldn't function until I got a service manual and brought the feed ramp to specs. I'm pretty sure that the online vendor who sold me mine knew that it jammed repeatedly. I was just lucky enough to find out how to do the simple fix that I suspect keeps many of these fine old rifles in the closet gathering dust.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Blue Book 28th Edition:

NIB $550
98% $500
95% $425
90% $350

Early models had feeding problems. Later models had the straight grip.
You are only talking $75 more and if you really like it don't pass it up. They don't come by that often. Maybe you could ask the seller if he could do better on the price. Doesn't hurt to ask. And I do have one I just can't turn loose of. Mine is the straight grip type. Bought in Sept. 1984. 'PY' serial number.
Does it have box and paperwork?

·
Premium Member
30,682 Posts
If you just "must have" the Browning BAR 22 semi auto then you might consider buying it even if it is over priced. I would have a hard time spending that amount of money that I could use to buy a Belgium Browning ATD 22, in equal or better condition, which has more collector value. It all depends on what you want it for. The ATD is such a classic, that it is still being produced, even though it is by Miroku.
Some people have had great luck with the BAR 22 and others have complained. You probably won't know for sure until you own it.
Good Luck with your decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.