Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent shot but 70 rds. through my new savage .17 and was when, or if the accuracy is gonna improve. I have heard of it improving after you have gotten some many rounds through it, but how many?

I cant give you guys any specs on my patterns and such cause I havent really taken the time to do so.

I just had to get another scope mounted for various reasons and had to get taller rings. The high rings were not enough so I had to go with the peep sights. Is that going to affect me too much? I am starting to have my doubts about the sweet 17 scope setup. No I havent gotten it zerod at 100yrds. etc. But what is really the point if the .17 will only effectively shoot to 150, maybe 175? This scope goes all the way out to 300 yrds.

I shot numerous times at Pdogs last night and only got 1 confirmed kill. (Well, that was the only one that went WHOP! and rolled off the back side of his hill and was never seen again.)

I may just be having too many close up shots (under 50yds.) and throwing me way off. Also to add on top of that I am TERRIBLE at judging distances.

Is there any tricks at judging distances without buying a range finder? I have thought about getting those marker flags and a tape measure and just marking off the yardages as I go, but dont know how long that will last due to cows and such are regularlly cycled in and out of the Pdong invested pasture.

Are my expectations too high? I was looking at getting the 17 and just tearing up the hillside at Pdogs. I was hoping for better shot to kill averages than with the .22 mag I was borrowing. Every 50 rounds would yield 5-6 pdogs. I borrowed a .17 and got 7. I was hoping for a pdog every other round or so. Are these expectations realistic or what?

I guess this is just a rant really, had a hard time with the wife lastnight, not been in a good mood all day.

What is the norm for pdog hunting and shot to kill averages?

Philip

·
Registered
674 Posts
It takes some time to properly break in a rifle; 100 - 200 rounds possibly. Take some time to get to know how the rifle shoots before taking it out hunting. Much range time. Here is a chart that shows the trajectory of the 17 HMR zeroed at 100, 125, and 150 yards. If zeroed at 125 yards the rifle will only be shooting 1.5" high or low from zero to 125 yards. If shooting farther than that, you'll see your shots hitting the dirt right in front of them. That should help you judge the distance, and you can walk your shots in. But always go for the clean kill, please.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39046

I know PDogs aren't very big, but if you hold center mass you should hit them most every time out to 125 yards. This of course is also very dependent on the wind. The wind can wreak havoc on those light bullets!

Anyway good luck, and I hope the wife isn't too mad. :D
Gary

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
XChevellephil,

Could you give a little more information. What size groups are you getting at what distance? What are the specs of your Sweet 17 scope? I suggest you go back to the range and start the zeroing of you scope at 25 yards. Then move out to 50 and then 100 yards. Now test to see where the gun shoots at 125, 150,....300 yards so you know and pratice, practice, practice at the ranges you want to shoot.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Keep shooting

XChevellephil said:
I havent shot but 70 rds. through my new savage .17 and was when, or if the accuracy is gonna improve. I have heard of it improving after you have gotten some many rounds through it, but how many?

I cant give you guys any specs on my patterns and such cause I havent really taken the time to do so.

I just had to get another scope mounted for various reasons and had to get taller rings. The high rings were not enough so I had to go with the peep sights. Is that going to affect me too much? I am starting to have my doubts about the sweet 17 scope setup. No I havent gotten it zerod at 100yrds. etc. But what is really the point if the .17 will only effectively shoot to 150, maybe 175? This scope goes all the way out to 300 yrds.

I shot numerous times at Pdogs last night and only got 1 confirmed kill. (Well, that was the only one that went WHOP! and rolled off the back side of his hill and was never seen again.)

I may just be having too many close up shots (under 50yds.) and throwing me way off. Also to add on top of that I am TERRIBLE at judging distances.

Is there any tricks at judging distances without buying a range finder? I have thought about getting those marker flags and a tape measure and just marking off the yardages as I go, but dont know how long that will last due to cows and such are regularlly cycled in and out of the Pdong invested pasture.

Are my expectations too high? I was looking at getting the 17 and just tearing up the hillside at Pdogs. I was hoping for better shot to kill averages than with the .22 mag I was borrowing. Every 50 rounds would yield 5-6 pdogs. I borrowed a .17 and got 7. I was hoping for a pdog every other round or so. Are these expectations realistic or what?

I guess this is just a rant really, had a hard time with the wife lastnight, not been in a good mood all day.

What is the norm for pdog hunting and shot to kill averages?

Philip
Philip,

Currently I'm just shooting at 50 yards with my Savage cuz I'm just about to pass the breaking-in period outlined in the Savage instructions. I have about 200 rounds through mine now and during shooting and cleaning regiments I get an EASY dime size groups. I mean EASY!!!!. I'll bet that at 100 I'll get this easy with careful aiming off the bench. For an inexpensive rifle these are dynamite. :)

Regarding your scope set-up. What type and power do you have? Boy if you need higher than what you described your objective must be larger than 40mm? You should need anything higher than a mount that labeled" high".

wmrimfire,22

·
Registered
10 Posts
About 150 rounds or so you should start to see tighter groups. Make sure your clean every 20 rounds or so until about 200 or so. After that clean when accuracy goes down. Make sure you are trying different kinds of ammo as well. Some guns like certain kinds of ammo more than others.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.