Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am getting a little aggravated with the lack of reliability in my 10/22, so I am looking around at bolt actions before I sink anymore money into the ruger. What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with your heavy barrelled savage bolts at 50 yds, 22LR? Match ammo accuracy is welcomed, but prefer info on typical hunting ammo, e.g. Federal Lightning, Winchester Wildcat, etc.. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a heavy barrel Savage stainless 93. But thats a 22 Magnum.

At 50 yards you can cover my groups with a dime with no problem.

I know your looking for a 22lr and not a mag, but I figured I'd put in my $0.02 anyway.

Hard to believe your having that much trouble with a 10/22.

·
Registered
125 Posts
From what I hear at the gun shops, the overall accuracy of a 10/22 is pretty good. However, they are very inconsistent. The guy says he know a person whose 10/22 goes shot for shot with an Anshutz and others that where just plain losers. Of course, if you plan on tearing a 10/22 apart, that's another story.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. No, the 10/22 is not having trouble with accuracy so much as it does not like to feed and function properly all the time. I figure if I am going to have to check the chamber to make sure I have a shell in the chamber to ensure the gun goes bang when the next squirrel pops its head up, I may as well have a bolt action or even a single shot! Just my opinion. BTW--i have put a heavy barrel and aftermarket stock on the 10/22, so it is plenty accurate, just won't necessarily go bang every time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh.

If it is a feeding problem, have you been using subsonics or standard velocity rounds?

They may not have enough blowback to cycle the next round. It is an issue with almost all semi-automatics. Try a high velocity. I hear CCi Mini-Mags are popular for hunting squirrels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.