Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Accuracy 452 varmit-455 Amer. in 22 mag

794 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  regulate34
Called local gun stores today looking for a 452 Amer. 22 mag. I couldn't find one. What I did find was a 452 varmit for $430 and a 455 American for $380. Is there a noticable accuracy difference between the two? I didn't want the weight of the varmit barrel but if the accuarcy is better this would be a deal breaker. I recently bought my first CZ in 22lr. Its shoots much better than any 22 I ever owned. Can I expect the same from the magnum?
Looking to upgrade from an old Marlin, the only 22 mag Iv'e ever owned. Any advice appreciated.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,301 Posts
I recently picked up a 452 22 mag. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet. If it is like the rest of my 452's, it will be a shooter.

Have not warmed up to the 455's yet. Figured I would get the 452's while I still can. 455's will be easy to get over the years to come.

Go with the 452, if you don't like it, it will be easy to sell.

· Registered
2,796 Posts
While there may be outstanding individuals, I think that you will find comparable accuracy across the board with CZ rimfire rifles, which is pretty darn good. If you shoot primarily from the bench you will find the varmint stock will ride the bags better, and some find the weight forward of the heavy barrel better for offhand shooting. :) I have owned a 455 American for over 1 year now with all three barrels/calibers. :bthumb: It is my primary walk around small game/varmint rifle and has proven to be very accurate for my purposes. :D You can't go wrong either way. The real key is how you intend to use the rifle. :)

· Premium Member
58,321 Posts
The barrels, the heart of a rifles accuracy, are made the same way and in the same hammer forging process, short of a defect the accuracy is going to be the same. In my personal experience my two 455's shoot right along with their 452 counter parts.

· Premium Member
39,147 Posts
Called local gun stores today looking for a 452 Amer. 22 mag. I couldn't find one. What I did find was a 452 varmit for $430 and a 455 American for $380. Is there a noticable accuracy difference between the two? I didn't want the weight of the varmit barrel but if the accuarcy is better this would be a deal breaker. I recently bought my first CZ in 22lr. Its shoots much better than any 22 I ever owned. Can I expect the same from the magnum?
Looking to upgrade from an old Marlin, the only 22 mag Iv'e ever owned. Any advice appreciated.
I don't see much accuracy difference in different CZ models. There are exceptional individual guns, but I think you won't see a lot of accuracy difference between a 455 American and a 452 Varmint in 22WMR.

The 22WMR cartridge is not as accurate as the 22LR, but from what I've seen of the CZs in 22WMR, they are all good to excellent shooters, just like the 22LR models.

If you don't want the added weight of the Varmint barrel, buy the 455 American with confidence that it will be a good shooter. :t

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read some posts referring to removing the "barrell lug "on some varmit models to obtain better accuracy. Would this be the front action screw? Why would it shoot better without it? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I've never handled a varmit model before but am considering buying one.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
I've read some posts referring to removing the "barrell lug "on some varmit models to obtain better accuracy. Would this be the front action screw? Why would it shoot better without it? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I've never handled a varmit model before but am considering buying one.
Somefolks, myself included, prefer a fully floating barrel. I never removed the barrel lug on my 452 varmints, but I believe some folks remove that lug so the barrel is fully floated, then add a second screw to the action area similar to the other 452's. Or just leave the action attached to the stock with only one screw. I don't like the one screw option.

· Registered
651 Posts
My varmint unusually it seems just would not shoot well with the barrel lug in place. I removed it and fully floated the barrel and bedded the action with epoxy, then it shot fine. I have since bedded the last inch of the barrel as a try and it is still shooting well. I will probably drill and tap the rear tang in the long run though.
Regards
Chris

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took the 70 mile trip to the gun store today. to make a long story short I came back with a new 452 Varmit in 22 mag. Gun feels good ,a little on the heavy side but I can deal with that. Wood is nicer than I expected. It may be a while before I can mount a scope and shoot it. If it shoots like the included target I've got a winner,all 5 holes are in one ragged hole much smaller than a dime.

· Registered
2,553 Posts
Someone made a point awhile back that; not only are the .22mag guns better (ie CZs) but so is the quality of the .22mag ammo.

CCI,and others are now making quility ... 30,33,40, 45 and 50gr ammo ..,22-mag was a red headed stepchild of rimfire ammo for years..

FWIW my FS likes the40gr CCI Maxi-mag $10.99 at walmart

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.