Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking seriously about going with a Marlin 917VS.
A gunsmith told me he likes the Savage 93R17 action better than the marlin action. Is there any reason why I should go with a Marlin over the Savage?
I really wanted to replace the savage factory synthetic stock with a good wooden one but seems as though few wooden replacements are available for the savage. Revival industries does not currently make one.
I would also let the gunsmith check the crown and lighten up the trigger.
Maybe even bed the action as well. Any advice on the Savage will be appreciated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I wouldn't pay a gun smith to "Check" the crown, easy enough to do yourself, just go shoot it, then look at the muzzle, you want to see a nice even powder burn coming off the rifling, should look kind of star shaped with points or fingers coming out of each of the grooves in the rifling.

If it needs to be re-crowned then pay a gunsmith, that would be cheaper than buying the tools yourself.

Boyds also makes their Ross Thumbhole stock for the 93R rifles. http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BrowseEbus/ROSSsavage.asp

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
The Marlin and Savage shoot the same from what I've been reading. They're both probably more accurate than a lot of shooters. Pick the one that looks and feels best to you and not your gunsmith. I agree with VaFish about re-crowning and do what he said. The gunsmith will want to make some easy money ya know. Wait until you have 200-300 thru it and see how the gun is shooting until you considering it. Lighten the trigger yourself, it's so easy. You can do the shim trick, it will cut the pull (about in half I think) or get a Rifle Basix sear. That will get you down to 10 ozs. Bedding is easy too and it's a benefit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys for the great advice. I have looked at and held both the 917VS and the Savage 93R17. I feel like the Savage would be great and the price difference between the 917VS and the savage could be used towards a good scope.
I only have two stainless guns and both of them are pistols. I can live without the stainless barrel that the 917VS has.
The gunsmith I mentioned is a great guy who has told many people that the crown on their rifles was OK and did not need reworking. I trust him because several people that I talked to use him rather than another guy in town.
Is there good instructions on this site that tell how to modify the trigger on a Savage 93R17. Can the parts be polished to improve the trigger pull?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got the chance to look at a 93R17-bvss. It is a sweet looking gun.
The price difference between the 93R17 and the 93R17-bvss is only $89.00.
I may go with the bvss because of the higher quality of the stock and I know that stainless is easier to take care of as compared to blue steel.
Is a stainless 93R17 harder to break in vs. the blue?

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
yea, dont matter what gun i'm looking at to buy. if i have a choice of ss over blue, will pay the extra $$ and get the ss. kinda like peace of mind. and also, depends where you live and the weather extremes, hot, humid, salt air, etc. just my .22 cents

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have Savage in steel barrel I shot about 150 rounds at 75 yds half inch circle and at 100 yds very close to 1/2 inch circle but mine dont have any stars on the crown at all and I am very satisfy with the shooting, I am getting my trigger little softer by gun smith for 35 bucks.But what happend to me is I drop my rifle busted scope and hard ding on my barrel and scratches all over my stocks. I am worried and hope it didnt effected my accuracy. Plz comment. I am deeply hurt what happend to my rifle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.