Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Aarrgh!!!

365 6
I hate crappy optics! I finally shot my new 597 and I was all over the place. I did manage to put together two sub 1", 5-shot groups at 50 yards. One of those had 3 rounds making one hole. So, I think the gun has promise if only I could see.

I'm currently using a 3-9x40mm Simmons that came on my Savage .17hmr. I would like to hear what some of y'all are using. I enjoy bench shooting so I prefer the higher magnification optics.

The gun, however, functioned flawlessly.:beerchug:
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,543 Posts
If the Simmons scope doesn't have AO or isn't parallax corrected for 50 yards, that can cause precision sighting problems. The 3~9x Simmons scope that came with my Savage MK II in .22LR is a standard scope and parallax corrected for 100 yards. Dick's Sporting Goods sold the rifle and scope as a set. Needless to say, the scope is not on the Savage.

Also, try as many different cartridges as possible and stick with one it likes.

· Registered
3,579 Posts
My comments are not directed at the Simmons scope, but I have seen the less expensive scopes have the crosshairs move when I change position on the stock. Try putting the gun in a solid rest, then look through the scope and move your head a little. Do the crosshairs move? If so, toss the scope. Most of my scopes cost more than the guns they are mounted on. Money well spent.

· Registered
16 Posts
597 Optics

I have a Weaver 22 Rimfire 2X7 on my 597 magnum. I am achieving rather good accuracy for a man with 66 year old eyes. Haven't really shot it from the bench rest yet (100 yds.) but don't see why it won't fine tune.
Have had the same model scope on my Winchester 320 22 RF for about 8 years and it has never failed me. Great squirrel rifle.
I think the Weaver's 2X7 Rimfires are on sale right now at Natchez for about $120.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My comments are not directed at the Simmons scope, but I have seen the less expensive scopes have the crosshairs move when I change position on the stock. Try putting the gun in a solid rest, then look through the scope and move your head a little. Do the crosshairs move? If so, toss the scope. Most of my scopes cost more than the guns they are mounted on. Money well spent.
I'll try this.

Just to be clear... I wasn't bashing Simmons. I was bashing CHEAP optics! I'm sure most manufacturers have budget scopes that the average consumer would find acceptable. I have a nice Simmons on my .17hmr that works great!

Ran across a Mueller Eradicator. Thoughts anyone?

· Registered
1,987 Posts
For optics, something in the 4-12X, to 6-24X range is what the paper punching guys use. The 597 is capable of good accuracy and you will need pretty good glass to get the best out of it.

I picked up a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x recently and it has been acceptable. I have a 4-14 Mueller APV that is really nice for the money. I have a Bushnell 4200 4-16X and it is a great scope, but W&E adjustment range is somewhat limited. Leupold and Burris and Sightron and Weaver and others make scopes that will fit the bill. All of the scopes I have mentioned here will adjust out parallax down to below 25 yds. If you are going to try to shoot the tightest groups at 25 & 50 yards, you will need that capability. Ididn't see which model 597 you have, but putting a $500 dollar scope on a $200 or less rifle may seem a little extreme. However, if you do, you will not regret it if you are shooting off the bench.

If you are going to hunt and plink and not obsess about tiny groups off the bench then Weaver, Mueller, and Bushnell make scopes that will work fine. Stay with the ones designed for rimfire ranges and 1" main tube; they all have models that are decent and not outrageously priced.

If you go over to the Scopes forum, you will see lots of shouting matches over scope quality. I will say that the low priced stuff from various brands has qualtiy that is all over the map and what you get could be just the luck of the draw.

Since I have one and have been pleased with it for a low-medium priced scope, I'd recommend going with at least a Mueller APV.

If I am muddying the water for you, I apologize for that.

EJ

· Registered
1,987 Posts
I see you are considering the Mueller Eradicator. IIRC, that's an 8-25X variable. It has a nice following and gets great reports in the scopes forum (mostly anyways). I don't think you'll be disappointed in one of those.

It is on my list of scopes to try.

EJ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.