Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having my Trailside threaded for a suppressor but want to know if the threading of the barrel will affect the accuracy of this fine gun.

Nothing covert, here, just want to do more plinking with out bothering the neighbors.

Anyone have this done and wish they haven't?

Tell me your .22 pistol suppressor story.

Thanks.

·
Registered
741 Posts
JMankowski said:
Tell me your .22 pistol suppressor story.
Suppressors are generally known to enhance accuracy because they minimize the effect of gases on bullets as they exit barrel - one of the critical consistency issues of accuracy.

Some CANs and threading applications will have a tendency to shift the Point Of Impact which can be as much as a couple of MOA. The POI shift should be consistent from shot to shot as long as the CAN stays in place (not removed and re-installed) per shooting session.

POI shift seems to be one of those elusive things - some gun/CAN setups exhibit it, some don't. Some are worse than others, some are more pronounced than others, and on it goes. It appears to be a combination issue dependent on a lot of factors - baffle design, mounting system, precision of mounting, barrel/gun sensitivity to weight, and other unk factors (?).

I only mention POI shift 'cause a buddy is undergoing a problem with it and we've been trying to diagnose it. I have two CANs and one shows almost no POI shift, while the other shows a moderate amount - moving between the same 7 or so firearms.

Back to the topic specific...

I'm using a P22 and a Mark II bull. The MkII is very accurate - as much as I can be in holding. I can hit a 6" plate at least 9 of 10 times at 30 yds with it off-hand - usually more. At least suppressed I can. I rarely shoot the thing without the CAN as it's so satisfying, quiet, and just seems wrong to not use the CAN on it.

The P22 Is not as accurate (duh). Hits on the plate are about half as frequent, but it more naturally takes the POI issued CAN. To my way of thinking, the P22 is strictly a fun CQB plinking gun (very fun), while the MKII is for more serious stuff.

Bottom line is a CAN may have some impact on POI, but it should enhance accuracy if anything.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Tap said:
I have one and the can may be added with little cost and BOY DOES IT HELP WITH THE X RING!
Are you referring to a suppressor or a muzzle brake? The suppressor will cost you about $500 min after you buy the CAN, pay the g'vment tax and have it moounted ot a barrel. That doesn't sound like "little cost" (unless you're in a completely different $$$ league).

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Little Cost!

I am talking about the cost of adding the can to the gun. NOT the cost of the can.
The old S&W's can be quickly set up for a can. The cost will run about $35.00.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I thought the trailsides had a barrel that was shrouded by the slide. If so, what's the solution for threads? (Other than having seen a pic, I know almost nothing about the trailsides).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.