Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
  • Beware of Scammers! Does it sound too good to be true? New user has just what you were looking for? Don't get scammed! When in doubt, use escrow.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe its that I'm getting old and the brain is misfiring but memories of long forgotten incidents have been working their way to the surface recently. This one popped up recently and it bothers me more now than it did at the time.

Forty years ago I knew this redheaded girl. We were in the same major so we had a few classes together and as a result, we became friendly. We'd regularly have lunch, go out for drinks or dinner, and study together, of course. Nothing romantic ever happened much to my dismay but I still liked having her as a friend. This went on for about two years which is a long time to college students.

After graduation, she'll be heading home on the other side of the state. One of her last nights in town, we went out for dinner and talked about job offers and future careers and blah, blah, blah.

I walked her back to her apartment building and, at the door, I said, "Give me your address so we can stay in touch."

She said, "No, that's not necessary" and went into her building. Never saw her or heard from her again.

· Registered
520 Posts
At least you weren't waiting by the phone for the "don't call me, I'll call you" trick...
Never saw her or heard from her again

I had an ex call me after about 3 years had passed since we'd talked. We had kind of a tumultuous relationship toward the end and I'd decided I was just done. Last time we talked we'd argued and I'd told her I had to go but I'd call her later. Never did. So all this time had gone by and she calls me out of the blue to cuss me out for never calling back.

Then she said she actually did feel better and hung up. One of her friends told me later that her therapist had recommended she call me. 25 years and not another peep. Some you're just better off without.

· Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did have a girl call me up out of the blue about six or seven years after we had last spoken (1984) to apologize for blowing me off. She was in therapy for an eating disorder and her shrink thought that I was bad for her. It's not like I took her to all you can eat places or anything like that. She said her piece and I haven't heard from her since.

· Registered
4,168 Posts
Maybe its that I'm getting old and the brain is misfiring but memories of long forgotten incidents have been working their way to the surface recently. This one popped up recently and it bothers me more now than it did at the time.
Yeah, me too sometimes. Wasted years, missed opportunities, poor choices, etc.

Some of the most wise philosophers - from antiquity to today - have generally advised us to leave the past where it belongs. Easier said than done sometimes.

· Premium Member
37,816 Posts
My redhead experience went a lot further. I went with a wild child redheaded hair dresser for a year way back when and hubba hubba twas fun while it lasted. heavy sigh! 😇
If it makes some of you feel any better, men drive women crazy too, so some women friends revealed who ratted out their sex. 😎

· Premium Member
782 Posts
Most, if not all, of my difficulties with girls/women in my younger/dating days were the result of my own boneheadedness.

I haven't faced those situations in over 55 years since I met and began dating my wife of the last 51+ years. Luckily for me, she is a forgiving woman. There is still much to forgive.

· Registered
434 Posts
It’s strange how some things stay with us. I think most of us have those. I feel worse about the times I was the perp instead of the victim. They hurt more. Can’t live in the couldah, shouldah, wouldah world and we would probably be happier if we let it go. But at this stage it’s part of us and probably will be there to the end. It’s just who we are.

· Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Can’t live in the couldah, shouldah, wouldah world and we would probably be happier if we let it go.
If I dwelled on the bad choices that I made, I'd never get out of bed. Not bad choices like robbing liquor stores or doing crack, things that seemed right at the time like taking a job, getting married, etc.

I just find that people from the past pop into my brain at odd time. Sometimes they are happy memories, sometimes not so happy.

· Premium Member
136 Posts

Forty years ago I knew this redheaded girl. We were in the same major so we had a few classes together and as a result, we became friendly. We'd regularly have lunch, go out for drinks or dinner, and study together, of course. Nothing romantic ever happened much to my dismay but I still liked having her as a friend. This went on for about two years which is a long time to college students.

After graduation, she'll be heading home on the other side of the state. One of her last nights in town, we went out for dinner and talked about job offers and future careers and blah, blah, blah.

I walked her back to her apartment building and, at the door, I said, "Give me your address so we can stay in touch."

She said, "No, that's not necessary" and went into her building. Never saw her or heard from her again.
I have to ask, who was buying lunch, dinner and drinks?

· Premium Member
405 Posts
Even though the 80's were a simpler time, I bet if you ever run into this woman, her regrets will far outweigh your bewilderment of the departure.
Women are complex, cough, cough, they love a male friend who is a rock, and will sort through 4 or more guys a yr and end up hating them all and never give a nod. Then one day, mr right comes along and bye,;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts