Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son was feeling nostalgic and called to talk about "Must Have Guns". I asked what he meant and he said he was talking about a style that he thinks everyone should have but also guns that he has that he would never consider selling.

So I asked for an example...I was already thinking of my 1974 model Single Six and how it was a treasured slot filler for a .22 plinker/packing around gun.

My son in giving an example of what he was talking about said that he was thinking about his 1977 model Single Six, his first hand gun. He said that every one should have a single action .22 plinker...a Ruger or a Colt or... :D

Just made me smile...I got that Ruger for him when he was 14...he is 38 now.
He lost the magnum cylinder about 8 years ago in a move, so I found him another one on this site.

Yup a Ruger Single Six is to my mind a "Must Have" :cool: This is my 1974 version

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree!!! My first pistol was a three screw flat loading gate. My dad gave it to me about 50 years ago. Put thousands of rounds through it!! Eventually it was looking a bit tired. I sent it back to Ruger for a complete refinish and overhaul. It's now residing in the safe. I replaced it with a slightly newer three screw but with the later loading gate. That will be given to my son shortly. Every collection needs a SA, and a .22, why not combine the two???

·
Premium Member
3,917 Posts
In my case, while I have a Single Six and love it dearly, the gun I have had the longest and still use frequently is my Winchester 52B, named Bertha since she's a member of the family.

At one point or another, all of my kids have shot her, at the bottom of a field on the farm where I mowed a 50 yard range. I really miss that place. :)

She now wears a Unertl 10x scope, age appropriate.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree!!! My first pistol was a three screw flat loading gate. My dad gave it to me about 50 years ago. Put thousands of rounds through it!! Eventually it was looking a bit tired. I sent it back to Ruger for a complete refinish and overhaul. It's now residing in the safe. I replaced it with a slightly newer three screw but with the later loading gate. That will be given to my son shortly. Every collection needs a SA, and a .22, why not combine the two???
Family stuff makes em even better!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my case, while I have a Single Six and love it dearly, the gun I have had the longest and still use frequently is my Winchester 52B, named Bertha since she's a member of the family.

At one point or another, all of my kids have shot her, at the bottom of a field on the farm where I mowed a 50 yard range. I really miss that place. :)

She now wears a Unertl 10x scope, age appropriate.
Gotta love a gun that has the family history and memories

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
Must have gun & rationale ...

I think the very first must have gun would be a shotgun of some type. And the very first handgun would be a Ruger convertible. Between those two guns, you can get done about everything that needs getting done.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
For me by 1968 Single Six and my 1973 Woodsman Match Target are must have. Really right now they are the only 22lr handguns that I need. Gotten rid of everything else. The others just did not match up to these two.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
This thread struck a chord with me. Over the years I had owned 2 different old model single-six revolvers and eventually traded them off on another "I want". Finally several years ago I got a chance to right the two wrongs by buying a like new Super single-six convertible with my favorite 4 5/8 inch bbl length. This one will not get away from me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dad still has the first single 6 I ever bought. Convertible, built in 1969 IIRC. Hasn't been "upgraded for safety" and never will be if it stays in the family.

I've had a few since then but never as nice as that one. I occasionally shoot his and consider getting another...then get sticker shock and decide to just shoot his again if I need to.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Never came with one sold as 22 Mag only clearly marked
That's really strange. You mean the cylinder is marked .22 mag??? Usually they were sold with both the .22 standard cylinder, and sometimes the .22 mag cylinder. I'm thinking that your gun came with both originally and the .22 cylinder got lost along the way. I've never heard of a single six leaving the factory with only the .22 mag cylinder. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I prefer single action revolvers over all other handguns and the single six is at the top of the 22 heap IMO. As to "everyone" needs to own one, not really, as some people don't like them at all. That is like telling me I need to own a Glock which I have no intention of ever doing. Different strokes for different folks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts